Fall Get Together

Phil Stager

Esteemed Member
04/07/09
Several threads have mentioned a fall get-together. Before we all go off on wild tangents, let's see what dates and weekends are already taken with plant sales, private or otherwise (e.g., Searle Sale, USF Fall Sale, anything at Fairchild, etc.) I hosted one some ten years ago and was getting ready host another when the November rains washed out everything. My preference is for October - still warm but not HOT, still enough daylight, less chance of cool WX or a washout.

So let's get this started and out of the fog: Jeff - when is your fall sale?

Reactions: Pix
My vote is late,late Oct or early Nov.Jeff's sale usually falls over the first couple weeks in Oct and Nov has cooler weather with less chance of storms disrupting plans.Oct 31,Nov 7 or even Nov 14 would be great for me

This is the Moose using Jeff's computer. Last weekend of October works for me. Is an auction being considered? If so, has a plant limit being considered?

Computer issues at the Moose Land. Should be getting resolved soon and will be back on the forum.

The Moose ;)

I am willing to host at my place - approx. 250 varieties of crotons, 35 species of palms, 15 species of cycads, 8 kinds of bamboo and CAVEAT - not a whole lot of room for anything else. EZ access on and off I-275. If anyone else with more room wants to host, you're not going to hurt my feelings. Yes, definitely an auction! Too early to firm up much of anything else. Comments. suggestions, ..... speak up.

an added non-crotonic attraction is the U.A. Young cycad collection now at the Kopsick Palm & Cycad Arboretum on the waterfront here in St. Pete and the very rare cycads from the collection which are at Sunken Gardens.

Would love to see your garden again Phil,are there any gardens close by that might be willing to participate??I do not want to volunteer anyone's garden but perhaps you could make some quiet inquiries??I can think of many wonderful gardens up that way that we have not seen.

November 7 is NFG for me - philatelic get-together in Sarasota; missed last year's.

Weather stats for St. Pete on 31-Oct as follows:
Avg high - 79F
Avg low - 68F
11hrs and 5 min of daylight
23% chance of precipitation

I've just got so exited about this meeting! I can hardly believe it is possible! Phil, it is soo00ooo nice of you to offer! I could finally make it!...
31 of October, please, please NailBiting
We are going on cruise 7th of November :(

October 31st at your place looks good. FYI, other non-croton attractions in the area are Sunken Gardens (admission fee) and the Florida Botanical Garden (free).

Do we have to come in a costume ? :p
:moosemanI can see it now... pizap.com14420101979041.jpg

Halloween Day it is, 31-October 2015. We'll take of the other details later - food, how many plants in auction, who plans on attending, etc., etc.

What time are you thinking Phil??I will probably do a Plantation-Tampa-Gainesville-Plantation or Plantation-Gainesville-Tampa-Plantation trip depending on your start time with an overnight in either Tampa or Gainesville??

I'm open for suggestions esp for anyone travelling some distance - and do we want an eating meeting of just light refreshments?

Light refreshments will be fine for me but either way is good,any start time after 10am works for me,I just need to know the time so that I can work out the trip details.

Let's say start at 10am; auction at 11 am. No problem with early birds. or can bump it back an hour for anyone travelling from east coast

Sounds great Phil,I should have a few nice things for the auction including a few nice seedlings that I took layers from for the first time this summer.I will put up a some pics when I get a chance

For those doing a bit of preliminary planning, my home address is:
4184 51st Ave S
St. Pete 33711-4734 which is in the Maximo Moorings subdivision off the Pinellas Bayway. Home phone is 727 864 1588

Coming from the south: I-275 across the Skyway Bridge, then a left exit at old Exit 4, Pinellas Bayway, just past the southbound toll booths; turn left at light onto the Pinellas Bayway, aka 54th Ave, S and go west a few hundred feet and turn right into 41st St S at the Maximo Moorings entrance; you'll go north a few hundred feet and turn left onto 51st Ave S; I'm the fifth house on the left and if you go much further you're in a neighbor's garage. I'll have a few signs out. Offload in front of the house, then park on the street but stay off the lawns since most folks overwater and you'll sink up to your axle. If you're about to hit a toll booth on the Bayway, you've gone too far.

Driving time from Jeff Searle's nursery to my place in the morning is about 3-1/2 hours but that's pushing the speed limit a bit.

FOOD: I can provide water, ice, plates,cups, etc. Bring your own chairs.

WHO's Coming: I've had a few prelim inquiries on what to bring for food and how much. If all else fails, there's a Publix about 3 minutes away. So how about a preliminary head count.
More to follow....