Counting the days without measurable rain

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Most of you will not care but in an effort to reverse my fortune, I'm documenting here the number of days since measurable rain last fell. Hopefully by making light of this, rain will become plentiful. For the record, that day was July 23rd when a 3 hour monsoon pelted the garden. Since that time, I've heard rumbles of thunder and witnessed light shows from far, far away. You can tell me how much rain has fallen where you live while despite the shade, the grass under my oak tree wilts.

Today is day 17.

Don't know what kind of restrictions you have up there but I read today your local golf course will be able to water more if they apply to do it. Still ground water tables here in Dade are considered low and the prediction is apparently for an el nina condition that will bring more drought again during the dry season. I know lake Ocheechobee doesn't effect you up there but it's still 3' low. It really doesn't look good for anybody. Still they predict another round of showers for us today, maybe tomorrow too. I'll take what I can get. Chris

Most of you will not care but in an effort to reverse my fortune, I'm documenting here the number of days since measurable rain last fell. Hopefully by making light of this, rain will become plentiful. For the record, that day was July 23rd when a 3 hour monsoon pelted the garden. Since that time, I've heard rumbles of thunder and witnessed light shows from far, far away. You can tell me how much rain has fallen where you live while despite the shade, the grass under my oak tree wilts.

Today is day 17.

Ray - have you resurrected your drip/micro irrigation plans? :confused:

Jim Glock swears by his. :)

If it makes you feel any better I share your pain. I live in a black hole myself. The black hole is when looking at the radar and seing rain everywhere around you except a circle above your house. Everyday the rain forms but does not dare to come over my house. south Merritt Island, over to Patrick AFB and Satellite Beach does not get rain. I don't know why, its like I'm cursed. I work at the Space Center (north Merritt Island) and it gets rain everyday. Its rained like two inches today. I'm watching the radar and nothing down south under the black hole. :(

0.50 yesterday with 25 mph wind gusts & 0.68 so far today.;) That's more than the past 30 days combined! It used to rain almost every day in the summer, what's going on with the weather patterns?

Randy

I think I mentioned on another thread that were getting some good steady rains of late. Got 3" on sat. and sun. combined. It was all around today, but didn't get any, not that I needed anymore. The garden is definitely showing it!!!

Feast or famine, over 2" as of 3pm today and the rain continues to roll in from the gulf.

Attachments

• b_xm0.jpg
    b_xm0.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 116
I am a firm believer in the belly aching online. Works better than the car washing :) Now Ray, would you like to come over and pick weeds and hack back my happy vines as a result? I will throw in about 40 seven gal containers as payback :)

It has been massively pouring here in Largo since 7:15. I imagine there will be some localized flooding after this is through.

My weather station has recorded 13.13" as of today for Aug so far. I need a few dry days.

12" at my place for August so yes that post worked. At Tampa International Airport, we've exceeded the entire 2010 rain total and it's only August 30th. It's been the best summer for rain here in many years.

I noticed dog puke fungus all over my mulch this morning so all is good here too. I am noticing rust running rampant on plumerias and cannas. Just had my bamboos thinned and treated with merit and bayer 3 in one today too. All signs cooler weather is around the corner. At least in my yard.

I had hope to mow the (week overdue) grass this evening, but no it had to rain again and more looks to be on the way. Weeds every where now and growing like crazy.

9.06" of rain "officially" measured at Miami International Airport in the last 30 days. MIA is about half way between Club Pocomo and the Moose Land. Chris must agree that significantly more percipitation has been experienced in our gardens than the official measurement is indicating. :confused:

yeah Ron...I'm sure there's been more than that. There were a couple of two day periods that alone got 4" each. And not more than 3 days without any rain and most times it rained I was looking at generally at least a half inch to an inch. Guessing 15 inches at least.