Wiki photos

We need to work on Satan/Irene Kingsley controversy. Can you all have a discussion on this again? I need to know where to put the Satan.

Anna - There will never be a resolution here. Don't make yourself crazy over it. There are those who say these are two different varieties and those, like me, who will swear on a stack of Fritos that they are the same. I grow Satan, a cutting from the plant seen in Dr. Brown's book and given to me by Jesse Durko. I have seven different plants in various areas of the garden, all cuttings from the original one, all different in terms of leaf size and shape, color, and variegation. I have been given plants that were certified as Irene Kingsley and they have grown into the exact same plant as at least one or two of my Satans.

2013-08-07 14.36.09.jpg2013-08-07 14.36.21.jpg2013-08-07 14.37.28.jpg2013-08-07 14.38.06.jpg2013-08-07 14.38.36.jpg2013-08-07 14.38.45.jpg

I have questions. Someone please respond.

Under Richard Krukonis there is a red croton that looks more like President Reagan to me. Where does this photo belong?

Just my opinion, in the dump it is not a very good shot of anything rather dull and dusty. The pics in F. Brown Bible have great color and life. (JMO). Pg11/pg15

Under Richard Krukonis there is a red croton that looks more like President Reagan to me. Where does this photo belong?

We need to establish criteria for placement of seedlings. Does Seminole Pride and Searle 2 belong in the croton encyclopedia or should we place these under a new seedling or new hybrid section? We need to start that soon. Please give me your thoughts.

Is Jack Pot a legit name?

We need to work on Satan/Irene Kingsley controversy. Can you all have a discussion on this again? I need to know where to put the Satan.

Ricky, I didn't use any Bogoriensis photos because the two you already had in the wiki were the best ones.

Ana;)

Hi Anna,

This is where I'm at. Seminole Pride and Searle #2 are two new plants that I grew from seeds off my own plants. So just like Ralph Davis, Aubrey Christian and Robert Halgrim ( to name a few ) did many ,many years ago, they named their own seedlings and are plants that we have today. Why would our new varieties today be any different? Personally, I think it's silly to have a separate section for "new" seedlings. Why?

Jack Pot is a plant that I got out of the old Halgrim yard many years ago and is not known to exist anywhere, anymore. When it was given to me, I was told to put a name on it as there was no known name. So I did.

Unfortunately, today's entries were lost during a thunderstorm this afternoon. I will have to re-do the few I found, but not today.

Today's entries:

Milky Way-Marie Nock
Satan-Jeff Searle- there was already a photo under this name that had leaves in less of a trident shape. I wrote a sentence or two about the present controversy regarding this cultivar.

Daisy Christine will be three years old in November.
It was a cross between Mrs. Snyder Disraeli (seed) & Sybil Griffen (pollen). These plants were purchased at my 1st Searle Sale in 10/10.
A litter mate to Daisy's Dance (same seed cluster).
Daisy Christine is all about the orange.

Daisy's Dance is all about the leaf shape.

One of my earliest attempts at hybridizing. As inexperienced as I was, these two plants
were simply a gift from the croton gods. And they surely hooked me for life!

Attachments

• DaisyChristineA.jpg
    DaisyChristineA.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DaisyChristineB.jpg
    DaisyChristineB.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Daisy'sDance1.jpg
    Daisy'sDance1.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Daisy'sDance2.jpg
    Daisy'sDance2.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 166
  • Daisy'sDance3.jpg
    Daisy'sDance3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Daisy'sDance4.jpg
    Daisy'sDance4.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Daisy'sDance5.jpg
    Daisy'sDance5.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 148
Today's entries:

Jack Pot-Jeff Searle
Norma-Rick Leitner
Commotion-Ron Kiefert
Red Foot-Ron Kiefert
Coral Showers-Ron Kiefert
Freckles-Phil Stager
Freckles-Ron Kiefert
Madam Butterfly-Rick Leitner
Exiter-Jeff Searle

I'ts really very slow going to find more confirmed, good photos in the wiki that have not yet been pulled. Please feel free to point out any that you think are exceptional and belong in the wiki. Thanks! Ana:)

Don't see Tickled Pink in the Wiki. Discovered by Mike Woolery (Bullwinkle), he invited everyone for three years to help ID it. At one point, I started referring to it (tongue in cheek) as WTF. There has been literally hundreds of croton eyes on this cultivar, none have ever recalled seeing it. This may have been some volunteer seedling that never got named. After much urging, Mike assigned the name: Tickled Pink. If a "historical" name ever manifests, it can get changed in the Wiki. I feel that this cultivar is well deserving a place in the Wiki. Mike has generously shared this plant and is established in many collectors gardens.

I see the Wiki does not have a photo of The Clown. Jeff Searle has a true "clown" as ID'd by Bob Alonso at the Glock Dec. Croton Tour in 2010. Jeff - please provide a photo for Ana so she can continue her fine work in the Wiki. I believe she loves "finding another piece of the puzzle".

Let's keep the photos coming people!

Today's entries:

Milky Way-Lamar Sapp
Geisha Girl-Toby Rose
Joe Friday-Toby Rose
Mosaic-Toby Rose
Wilma-Randy Weisner
Acubaefolium-Robertico in Costa Rica
Seminole Pride-Jeff Searle
Searle No. 2-Jeff Searle
Pops Searle-Jeff Searle
Daisy Christine-Jerry Shilling
Daisy's Dance-Jerry Shilling
Brandon James-Jeff Searle
Wooten's Beauty-Lamar Sapp

It is very slow going now trying to find correctly identified good photos that haven't already been placed in the wiki. I really have to depend on all of you now to provide new photos of your plants. They don't have to be new plants, just good photos of mature plants that show typical characteristics for that cultivar.:)

Today's entries:

Tickled Pink-Photo by Ron Kiefert of Mike Woolery's plant.
Pam Kiefert-Ron Kiefert
Karen Edge-Perry Edge*** does anyone know who Karen is? Is it his wife?
Pink Davis-Marie Nock and Jeff Searle
Davis 87-Marie Nock and Randy Weisner
Embassy-Ron Kiefert

Oh dear, really Randy? And I thought maybe we'd found one that could be agreed on. Any discussion?

This is what we got going in the Moose Land as Daisy Ortega. By comparing it with the William Craig I got from Judy Glock, these are my observations.

Daisy Ortega has a slightly smaller overall leaf size.
Ratio wise: Leaf length: Leaf width - Daisy Ortega has slightly narrower leaf
Color comparison is hard. Daisy Ortega has more orange and the mature red has more of an orangish coloration. William Craig has a deep vibrant red.

If I was in someone else's garden and was asked "is this Daisy or William", I would have difficulty deciding.

Attachments

• Daisy Ortega 1.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 1.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Daisy Ortega 2.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 2.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Daisy Ortega 3.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 3.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Daisy Ortega 4.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 4.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Daisy Ortega 5.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 5.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Daisy Ortega 6.JPG
    Daisy Ortega 6.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 143
Maybe if there is continued discussion and more photos, it can be figured out if WC and DO are the same or distinct, and what the defining characteristics might be. I think Jeff thought the emerging leaves on DO have more green than WC, and there were other thoughts he had also-Jeff? Anyone with other ideas?

Please note the wiki format thread and weigh in on what you see on your computer, please. I'd like to see if I can get the format to be more compact and efficient for everyone, no matter which browser you're on, if it's possible. Thanks.

Today's entries:

Blotched Coppinger's Hybrid-Marie Nock
Coppinger's Frank Brown-Andy Finlayson

DSC_0120.jpgDSC_0075.jpg
This is what we got going in the Moose Land as Daisy Ortega. By comparing it with the William Craig I got from Judy Glock, these are my observations.

Color comparison is hard. Daisy Ortega has more orange and the mature red has more of an orangish coloration. William Craig has a deep vibrant red.

If I was in someone else's garden and was asked "is this Daisy or William", I would have difficulty deciding.

Ron, Your plant is certainly different than any of my W Craigs.DSC_0046.jpgDSC_0059.jpg

All four of these were all ID'd as William Craig. A variation or different plants?:confused:

I thought my #2 photo might be a Daisy O........mmmmmmmmmm

Last time I looked we still needed these:

Antilla - in too much sun right now but it's something...I will get a better one this fall. Lots of pink in this one.

Regina

Porter's Pink Veitchii?....I think, should be confirmed before placing in the Wiki.

Attachments

• xxantilla.jpg
    xxantilla.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 248
  • xxregina.a.jpg
    xxregina.a.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 139
  • xxregina.b.jpg
    xxregina.b.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 153
  • porter's.jpg
    porter's.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 157
This is just my opinion Ana but I do not think that a real Richard Krukonis still exists.When I look at the one in the book I have seen no croton that looks quite as majestic as that one.Allthough many are similar none match the one in the book,again just my opinion :)Remember many crotons pictured in that book are no longer with us.

We need to establish criteria for placement of seedlings. Does Seminole Pride and Searle 2 belong in the croton encyclopedia or should we place these under a new seedling or new hybrid section? We need to start that soon. Please give me your thoughts.

Is Jack Pot a legit name?

Ricky, I didn't use any Bogoriensis photos because the two you already had in the wiki were the best ones.

Ana;)

Great quality fotos of your DAISY ORTEGA Moose...did you finally set your camera on a tripod :confused: lol :rolleyes:.

Ana,
Stan Wood sent me this photo of The Clown. I asked if we could use it in the wiki and he said yes. Please credit the photo to him. Thanks.

The Clown.jpg

Ana ,please see the picture the Jerry just put up for Majesticum.I believe this is the correct picture,I do not think the one listed in the Wiki is correct, in fact I think it is listed as incorrrect in the wiki.

Ana ,please see the picture the Jerry just put up for Majesticum.I believe this is the correct picture,I do not think the one listed in the Wiki is correct, in fact I think it is listed as incorrrect in the wiki.

Mike, I agree. Where do I transfer the photo? Should I put it under Picturatum? Is it good for that? I can delete it but it would be a shame unless we can't find a place where it belongs. Let me know. Thanks!

Others may help on this one but I would put it under Pheasants tail.I think the same picture is already listed in the wiki under that name.Majesticum is certainly very different from Pheasants tail.Jerry's plant looks great and Stan also has a spectacular example.

Mike, I agree. Where do I transfer the photo? Should I put it under Picturatum? Is it good for that? I can delete it but it would be a shame unless we can't find a place where it belongs. Let me know. Thanks!

Hi Mike,

My understanding is that Pheasant's Tail and Majesticum are synonyms, and that's why the photo appears in both. I need to get this cleared up. Anyone know if these two are synonyms or different? I can't remember if it was on Ray's list or if I saw it somewhere else. We need to get to the bottom of this. Onward through the fog!:rolleyes:

Today's entries:

Lucille Alonzo-Phil Stager and Ron Kiefert
Flamingo-Jerry Shilling
Joe Friday-"
Jungle Queen-"
Pride of Naples-"
Limelight-"
AFD 5-"
Ovalifolium-"
Dreer 7-"
Raphael-"
Baron James de Rothschild-Jerry Shilling

A few more entries for today:

Nestor-Ron Kiefert
Princess Eugenia-Jerry Shilling
Her Highness-"
Tortoise Shell-"
Stained Glass-"

** The last photo under Stained Glass, could that be Gonzales instead? It's Jeff Searle's plant. Please look and give your opinion. I can transfer it if need be. Thanks!

Ana,

It's a Stain Glass. Many years ago when it was small, and not a very good, clear picture I must admit. You have my permission to remove it if you want, I actually have a very nice looking one now and much taller.

Ana - these shots may be better for the Wiki, Faye Miller

Thanks,

Ron :)

Attachments

• Faye Miller 1.JPG
    Faye Miller 1.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Faye Miller 2.JPG
    Faye Miller 2.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Faye Miller 3.JPG
    Faye Miller 3.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 164
Today's entries:

Daisy Ortegas-Marie Nock
Finished-Marie Nock
Bimbo-Marie Nock
Seminole Queen-Stan Wood (Marie, this photo could not be enlarged. I don't know why. The Clown was fine.
Clipper-Randy Weisner
Peace-Randy Weisner
Yellow Bird-Randy Weisner
General MacArthur-Ron Kiefert
Tickled Pink-Ron Kiefert
Irresistible-Ron Kiefert
Charmer-Chris Mayhew
Heaven-Ron Kiefert
Baron James de Rothschild-Ron Kiefert
L.M. Rutherford-Jeff Searle
Coral Showers-Jeff Searle
Reliance-Scott McIntosh