What to do about ants?

koki

20/09/09
What is the best way to control a wide variety of ants? I have noticed them all over, at the base of every bush and in every palm. I know I will never be able to completely irradicate them but I would like to do something that will set them back quite a bit.

In the past, I have dusted DE with success. I've heard coffee grounds or baking soda deter them as well. I've always used more natural pest control due to my dogs.

Koki, The ants are going to "farm" scale for food. Get rid of them ASAP. I use hose end sprayed Bayer's 3-1, monthly. No scale, no ants, no mealy bugs & no mites. I hate to use anything not natural, but living alongside the Everglades makes natural solutions futile for me.

Amdro does not work on all ants. I use it and still have scale. I also use Beyers 3-1 attached to the hose and I have scale. Randy is correct, the ants are the transport mechanism for the scale, and killing them is certainly going to prevent most new scale. However, you're going to need something along with Amdro to get them all.

I've been spraying with Hot Shot, a full bottle to a one-gallon sprayer. You need at least 4 days without rain after you spray for the best results. Just spray the trunk and a couple of inches of ground around it on all sides. It seems to help in the worst areas of scale.

If you spray anything, Amdro can't work. Amdro only kills ants. You are relying on natural predators to kill the scale, once the ants are gone. Spraying wipes those predators out.

Ants don't transport scale, they defend it from predators. Without ants, scale insects are defenseless. But you have to have a healthy population on non poisoned predators. I've been a commercial grower for 15 years, and a hobbyist for 25. The only pest control I've ever owned is Amdro and bug - geta snail pellets, both from home depot. Get the poison out of your little ecosystem. Trust me, it works.

I found heavy scale on 6 plants today. It seemed to happen overnight! Can I cut off heavy infested areas or remove them by hand for short term gain? I'd like to try the amdro but am worried about my dogs. I did douse with organicide today.

Spray with neem oil, Volck oil, or any other agricultural oil (even spray with Pam or whatever you have in the kitchen) to smother the little green buggers then consider an application of Bayer 3:1 on the plants and those around them. No need to nuke the entire yard.

Sorry but there are simply too many crotons in my garden planted close together to allow a scale infestation. The scale would move through here like an out of control forest fire. Constant monitoring is essential to keep it in check. To the dismay of some gardeners, I use the Robert McNamara technique with application of chemicals. It does take more chemicals to bring under control a heavy infestation, less when small breakouts occur. Constant vigilance.

Sorry but there are simply too many crotons in my garden planted close together to allow a scale infestation. The scale would move through here like an out of control forest fire. Constant monitoring is essential to keep it in check. To the dismay of some gardeners, I use the Robert McNamara technique with application of chemicals. It does take more chemicals to bring under control a heavy infestation, less when small breakouts occur. Constant vigilance.
Here's an organic treatment which doesn't bring toxins into your space. It's slow acting , but it worked great for an infestation we had in the kitchen. I can't guarantee it will work for all species, but it is a simple recipe: add baking soda and fine (confectioner's) sugar in equal amounts and mix well. Add a little water to make a paste, then put it in a container on the ground near an ant mound. In a few hours, you will see ants clustered in the mix. The way it works is simple: the ants are attracted by the sugar, and they ingest the baking soda as well, which causes gas in the ant's gut. Ants have an exoskeleton, which doesn't allow them to vent the gas, so they literally explode, in a manner of speaking. For really stubborn infestations, a second application may be necessary. Give it a couple of weeks to work.

My biggest problem with ants outside is when they have a colony in plant containers. This can affect the growth of the plant; my experience is that those plants just don't do as well. The above mixture will work, but if you are in a hurry to get rid of them, just get some ant poison of your choice, move the plant, spray the ground or surface where the container was, then place the container in the same spot. It's worked well for me.

Here's an organic treatment which doesn't bring toxins into your space. It's slow acting , but it worked great for an infestation we had in the kitchen. I can't guarantee it will work for all species, but it is a simple recipe: add baking soda and fine (confectioner's) sugar in equal amounts and mix well. Add a little water to make a paste, then put it in a container on the ground near an ant mound. In a few hours, you will see ants clustered in the mix. The way it works is simple: the ants are attracted by the sugar, and they ingest the baking soda as well, which causes gas in the ant's gut. Ants have an exoskeleton, which doesn't allow them to vent the gas, so they literally explode, in a manner of speaking. For really stubborn infestations, a second application may be necessary. Give it a couple of weeks to work.

My biggest problem with ants outside is when they have a colony in plant containers. This can affect the growth of the plant; my experience is that those plants just don't do as well. The above mixture will work, but if you are in a hurry to get rid of them, just get some ant poison of your choice, move the plant, spray the ground or surface where the container was, then place the container in the same spot. It's worked well for me.

Your baking soda confectioner's sugar concoction seems interesting. Death ensues from a lack of flatulence. :eek:

We have used this non toxic treatment for years, but we use boric acid and confectioners sugar instead of baking soda. Same principle and definately takes care of them.