Vero Beach Crotons 2016

Great looking plants! Somewhere in the bowels of this site is a tutorial on air layering.
Thanks Phil. David was going to give me a tutorial, but I was thinking about searching the site and looking on YouTube figuring someone had to have a detailed description/demonstration.

IMG_0186.JPG

Brandon James pushing new growth.

IMG_0185.JPG

Colonel Linbergh

IMG_0182.JPG

Dr. Seuss which I recently got from Marie and is settling in nicely.
IMG_0168.JPG

Tan Wi Kiat

IMG_0140.JPG

Green Dragon/Hazard- A great croton I got from Marie a couple of years ago. I have seen it in a few other gardens. Not in the Wiki yet.
IMG_0158.JPG

Pop's Yard-Not a great photo, the sun came out quicker than I expected.
IMG_0189.JPG

Waterfall

IMG_0193.JPG

Christian's Landscape
IMG_0195.JPG

Curly Boy- Another one that is not yet on the Wiki, it seems fairly common so don't know if it has more than one name.
IMG_0199.JPG

Matchstick- My favorite mini-croton, has the smallest leaves of an I have. I got it at an auction a couple of years ago. Great little plant!
IMG_0202.JPG

Amabile.

Hi Mike,

When I finally get around to doing some propagating you are welcome to some of the Amabile. I should be able to get a good sized section for air layering. I keep putting it off because I never seem to find the time, but one of these weekends I am going to force myself to get out there and try my hand at air layering. I got my plant years ago from Marie and it is one of my favorites and thriving in a less than ideal spot.

Thanks,
Karl

Karl, can you get a better photo of the Green Dragon? It gets lost in the background. Same with Curly Boy. Or anyone- Phil, I know you have an amazing Curly Boy.
Hi Anna,

Yes, I will get a better picture of both of them as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks,
Karl

Here are some new photos now that it seems to be working again. These are of Angel Wing, Andreanum, and Batik. Will post more if this works.

Angel Wing.JPG
Andreanum.JPG
Batik.JPG

Looks like the problem is solved so here are some more.
Baby Moose.JPG

Bob Sabourne Hybrid.JPG
Brandon James.JPG

The top photo is Ron's seedling that I got at the auction at his place a few years ago. I am calling it Baby Moose. The second Bob Sabourne Hybrid which I just got from Randy and the photo does not do justice to the actual color. The third is Brandon James.

Butterball.JPG
Buddy.JPG
Captain Gilbert Cutler.JPG

First is Butterball which is not in the Wiki yet (David had mentioned that this was from the same seeds that produced Buttercup, but can't remember who created the hybrid). The second is Buddy. Third is Captain Gilbert Cutler.

Columbia.JPG
Compte de Castelaine.JPG
Confetti or Pink Spots.JPG

The first is Columbia which is another one of the plants I just got from Randy. The second is Compte de Castelaine, and the third which is also from Randy may be Confetti or might be Pink Spots.

David's Unknown 1.JPG
David's Unknown 2.JPG

These 2 were from David last year and did not have names. Can't remember if they were cuttings or seedlings. They are both outstanding. If they are from cuttings maybe David can post pictures of the parent plant to see if anyone recognizes it. They are still tiny, but I can't wait to see them develop into big beautiful plants.

Davis Estate Unknown.JPG
Doris.JPG
Dr. Seuss.JPG

The first plant is one I got from Randy at the last office. I know it was from the Davis estate and believe the name is not known. The second is Doris. The third is Dr. Seuss which I recently got from Marie. This is another one that is not in the Wiki yet. Maybe Marie can post a photo of the parent plant as I know this was one of her creations.

Grenada.JPG
Hitchcock.JPG
Irene Kingsley.JPG

Here are Grenada (a new favorite I just got from Randy that I hope will do well), Hitchcock or Mr. Hitchcock (could not remember the correct name but it was from David), and Irene Kingsley.

Johannis.JPG
Jose Seedling.JPG
Jungle Queen.JPG

Johannis, Jose's seedling from the last auction (need to name it because it is special enough to deserve a name, maybe just call it Jose for now), and Jungle Queen.

These will be the last three for today.
King of Siam.JPG
Lauren's Rainbow.JPG
Lemon Top.JPG

A large King of Siam which I have had for years, a small Lauren's Rainbow which I have also had for years and it has been very slow, and a Lemon Top I recently purchased from Marie which is doing very well.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Great post Karl Reminiscent of the good old days of a live and lovely postings. TKS
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 213
Here are a few more photos from the gardens.

Mango.JPG
Matchstick.JPG
Mrs. Robinson.JPG

Mango, Matchstick (great little croton with thin leaves, wonder if anyone else has it), and Mrs. Robinson.

Reliance.JPG
Rubens.JPG
Searle # 3.JPG

Reliance with a very vivid branch, Rubens, and one I got from the most recent sale at Jeff's labeled Searle #3 which I don't think is on the Wiki.

Karl, your beautiful collection is expanding at a phenomenal rate! I hope to see it in person sometime. Hey, to me, your Buddy looks like Helen Edge. Also your unknown looks like Voncilla Barley. Those are my votes!
Thanks. The Buddy looked more like it was supposed until the most recent flush. It used to look exactly like the photos of Buddy and I know when I got it from Mark Peters it was purchased as Buddy. I also have Helen Edge which in my garden looks quite different. I will need to watch it as it continues to grow and see what it does. I got a Voncilla Barley from Lamar at the last auction and never thought that it might be the same as my mystery croton. When I look at the photos of Voncilla you are right that the colors look nearly identical. It looks like I may have 2 of them now.

Thanks for coming by Karl, the plants look wonderful. Enjoy!
I got such a great selection of plants. I am so glad you suggested I come by. Let me know how you are making out with your move and if you still have much left because I would be happy to stop down again if you thought it was worth while. Thanks again for all of the new crotons I was able to add to my collection.