Vero Beach Crotons 2016

After stopping by David's and seeing his Butterball (which still had the original tag), it definitely looks like his plant is identical to all of the plants listed as Buttercup. Mine does seem to look much more yellow, like the picture of Lamar's Buttercup that is flushing the bright yellow growth, so I am thinking they are probably the same plant and maybe Butterball is the proper name. I got mine from Lamar at Ana's auction. I think mine may be more yellow because of the amount of sun it gets.

After spending $1000 on replacing brakes and the battery in my car, I ended up going to David's instead of the Ramble to save up my money. I will need to go to the spring sale at Fairchild if I don't have any other major expenses. I also missed Jeff's sale this fall, so hopefully will be able to do both of those in the spring.

After stopping by David's and seeing his Butterball (which still had the original tag), it definitely looks like his plant is identical to all of the plants listed as Buttercup. Mine does seem to look much more yellow, like the picture of Lamar's Buttercup that is flushing the bright yellow growth, so I am thinking they are probably the same plant and maybe Butterball is the proper name. I got mine from Lamar at Ana's auction. I think mine may be more yellow because of the amount of sun it gets.

After spending $1000 on replacing brakes and the battery in my car, I ended up going to David's instead of the Ramble to save up my money. I will need to go to the spring sale at Fairchild if I don't have any other major expenses. I also missed Jeff's sale this fall, so hopefully will be able to do both of those in the spring.

Thanks for your assessment, Karl. Does anyone else agree? Have an opinion? Please?

David's Unknown New.JPG

An unknown I got from David a year or so ago. Keeps getting better all the time. Not positive if it was a cutting or seedling.
Baby Moose New.JPG

A seedling I got from Ron at his auction continues to get better with age. Large enough to take cuttings so maybe this spring I will share. I have named it Baby Moose.
Mike's Unknown.JPG

This is an unknown I got from Mike at Ron's auction a couple of years ago. It has been slow, partly because it was buried. I have opened up the area around it and it really is spectacular. Not sure where it originated but looks nice enough to earn a name.
Davis 87.JPG

Davis 87 from Randy at Ana's auction. Starting to color up.
Grenada Newest.JPG

This is a new picture of the Grenada I got from Randy. Love the color.

Photos are loading fine when I save them to my computer and load them by clicking Upload a File. Will most more soon.

Here are a few more.
Bob Sabourne Hybrid Newest.JPG

Bob Sabourne Hybrid with new growth that looks brighter than in the photo.
Pink Lei Newest.JPG

Pink Lei darkening with the cold weather.
Searle #3 Newest.JPG

Searle #3 has gone from shades of orange to pink. Doesn't even look like the same plant.
Jose Seedling Newest.JPG

A seedling I got from Jose at Ana's auction is filling in some more. Not sure if this was the only one of this seedling or if Jose had taken cuttings. May need a name once I can propagate and share. I still owe a rooted cutting to someone from the auction who gave me a croton for a piece once I cut it. Should be large enough to take a cutting in the spring.
Unknown New.JPG

This is an unknown that I got from either Marie or Jeff about a year ago. It is started to get a bit larger and the leaves are getting bigger. Don't know anything about it's history.
Red Nestor.JPG

Red Nestor is a recent addition from David. Really different plant. Still settling in, but looks good.

I forgot to add these.

Confetti 1.JPG

Confetti 2.JPG

These are two very similar plants I got from Randy. One was labeled as Confetti, but Randy thought the other might be called Pink Dots or Pink Spots (can't remember). They are both very pretty plants and different from anything else I had.
Cornbread New.JPG

This is a closer few of Cornbread and the colors have become more intense with the cold weather.
Rembrandt.JPG

Here is another from Randy that is coloring up. This is Rembrandt. Looks different from the colors in the wiki, but I have not had it long so it may change with time.
Tangerine Twist New.JPG

Tangerine Twist from Marie is also getting better all the time.

Nice to see you posting, Karl. How the recent weather treated your garden?
You have a stunning collection of crotons now. I have very few of them :(

Nice to see you posting, Karl. How the recent weather treated your garden?
You have a stunning collection of crotons now. I have very few of them :(
Thanks, I have been really building up the croton collection the last few years working toward getting to 300 varieties. We got down into the low 30s, but luckily stayed above freezing in Vero Beach. The tender plants got zapped, but hopefully everything will pull through. We are supposed to get into the 70s this week, so as it warms up I will get a better idea of any damage to the plants. How did you make out with the cold?

Thank you, Karl. I do not know yet how I got out of the cold. I covered plants but not all of them at once. One cactus, which is in the pot by the some recently planted air layers, has turned white. I may post a picture tomorrow.
My problem is that half of my plants are always either newly planted or just moved :) …so, I am constantly watering too.
I've just read the old thread "What is the cut off date?", and I found that I am not doing things right. I was planting and replanting in November. I would be still planting in December if I was home :). I never thought about the size of the root ball. Well, I was never a gardener either. I have 4 years of gardening experience with no cold winters :)

Great is right. I would almost give my right pinkie finger for 'Fishbone' and another 10 that come close to that.

Great is right. I would almost give my right pinkie finger for 'Fishbone' and another 10 that come close to that.
It was just 7 years ago that I was in Rhode Island and barely knew what a croton was, now I can't imagine not having them. Fishbone was a pretty early one in my collection, but still one of my favorites. Now the fun thing is watching all of the seedlings pop up in the gardens and wondering which will actually grow up to be worth keeping and hopefully naming. Good luck finding some that will work for you in California long term. I hope some of your new additions work out. Petra and Mammie are the two most common here in the big box stores. I managed to kill my Petra which was an early addition, but Yellow Petra is still part of the collection. Curly Boy has been a very tough plant for me in a dry sunny position, but don't know cold tolerance (did not drop any leaves when we got in the low 30s this winter).