The Crotons I Cherish

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
During my daily tour around my garden, I find that the crotons that mean the most to me are the ones I have received as gifts. It seems I check on them more for some reason. I gotta admit to enjoying when someone stops by and sees how well I have taken care of there baby. :D

Red Quill

Attachments

• Red Quill.JPG
    Red Quill.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 146
Tickled Pink. This was an unknown for several years found by Bullwinkle (Mike). He has had many a croton eye check it out with no one being able to identify. Mike has been very generous giving and trading this cultivar to many to get it into many peoples gardens. :cool:

Formerly called "WTF" :(

Attachments

• WTF 1.JPG
    WTF 1.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 127
  • WTF 2.JPG
    WTF 2.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 132
  • WTF 3.JPG
    WTF 3.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 143
  • WTF 4.JPG
    WTF 4.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 138
The very, very uncommon Nellie Halgrim. A cultivar from Robert Halgrim he named after his mother. :eek:

I've got more - perhaps more photos too ... :eek:

Attachments

• Nellie Halgrim.JPG
    Nellie Halgrim.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 139
An Unknown from Thailand. Bullwinkle got cuttings of this cultivar from someone down south. It is a Thai hybrid that the gentleman had shipped to him with about 100 others. This Thai hybrid has been successfully grown in South Florida soil for several years and appears to be adaptable to our climate.

Mike refers to it as Unknown Thai Hybrid A. :cool:

Chris - looky, looky - you want some pollen? :rolleyes: Come by and I'll give you the plant to take home and monitor when the flowers are ready for your breeding purposes.

Attachments

• Thai Hybrid A.JPG
    Thai Hybrid A.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Thai Hybrid A -2.JPG
    Thai Hybrid A -2.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 112
An unknown from Phil. This Green & Yellow is a vigorous cultivar that always looks good. Instead of calling it another unknown in my collection I have tagged this plant as Stagerii. Kinda looks like a Yellow Baron Rothschild ? :confused:

Attachments

• Stagerii.JPG
    Stagerii.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 114
An unidentified cultivar from the Ralph Davis collection. This plant is really starting to flush some very large leaves. Ralph Davis was known for cultivating crotons with large leaves. This may be one of his creations? :confused:

Attachments

• Unk from RD Collect.JPG
    Unk from RD Collect.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 113
claude lorraine and pink powderpuff-9.14.12.JPGHere are some of my favorites. Lots originated from Mooseland via the last croton auction. The tortoiseshell came from my sister, Chris, last week. There are photos of two cuttings that I've rooted that I'm not sure of...I think the one is Veitchii. Can anyone put a name on the other? The Thomas Edison and Duke of Windsor are located in a very low spot in my yard, and thanks to Isaac, were sitting in about one foot of water for about 3 days or so. They have come through OK, I'm happy to say. Must apologize up front for the quality of my photos -just using a camera phone...

1. tortoiseshell
2. claude lorraine under a pink powerpuff tree
3. stoplight
4. fishbone
5. wm. craig
6. weismanii
7. veitchii - maybe
8. cardinal
9. unknown name - recent cutting
10. joanna coppinger

Attachments

• tortoiseshell-9.14.12.JPG
    tortoiseshell-9.14.12.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 126
  • stoplight-9.14.12.JPG
    stoplight-9.14.12.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 116
  • fishbone-9.14.12.JPG
    fishbone-9.14.12.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 134
  • william craig-9.14.12.JPG
    william craig-9.14.12.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 153
  • weismanii-9.14.12.JPG
    weismanii-9.14.12.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 137
  • cutting-July-12 Veiitchi maybe.JPG
    cutting-July-12 Veiitchi maybe.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 140
  • cardinal-9.14.12.JPG
    cardinal-9.14.12.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 7-15.12 cutting.JPG
    7-15.12 cutting.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 144
  • joanna coppinger-9.14.12.JPG
    joanna coppinger-9.14.12.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 150
This is a little bit better picture of Claude Lorraine, which is delightfully situated under a pink powerpuff tree. All the pinks and yellows make me very happy.

Attachments

• claude lorraine-9.14.12.JPG
    claude lorraine-9.14.12.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 154
View attachment 15151Here are some of my favorites. Lots originated from Mooseland via the last croton auction. The tortoiseshell came from my sister, Chris, last week. There are photos of two cuttings that I've rooted that I'm not sure of...I think the one is Veitchii. Can anyone put a name on the other? The Thomas Edison and Duke of Windsor are located in a very low spot in my yard, and thanks to Isaac, were sitting in about one foot of water for about 3 days or so. They have come through OK, I'm happy to say. Must apologize up front for the quality of my photos -just using a camera phone...

1. tortoiseshell
2. claude lorraine under a pink powerpuff tree
3. stoplight
4. fishbone
5. wm. craig
6. weismanii
7. veitchii - maybe
8. cardinal
9. unknown name - recent cutting - looks like it could be Andreanum :)
10. joanna coppinger
:)

While we sit back and wait for Mike (Bullwinkle) and Allan (Rags) to get their cameras downloaded - here is another ... :eek:

Blotched William Jennings Bryan. This plant was exhibited at the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society Show at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden. It was judged and awarded a Blue Ribbon. :cool:

Attachments

• Blotched William Jennings Bryan.JPG
    Blotched William Jennings Bryan.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 137
Here is a very rare one. Chris Mayhew's (pocomo) very first cultivar he hand pollinated, Cherry Pop[/B.] The momma was a Prince of Orange or maybe it was the Daddy ? :confused:

Come on guys and gals - where are the photos of the crotons you cherish ? :p

Attachments

• Cherry Pop.JPG
    Cherry Pop.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 132
Magnificum???Not sure about that ID Moose??

Mike - I had visited Marie Nock awhile back and she showed me a Magnificum. It looked like a dead ringer to the one you gave me. I even put an extra tag in my plant to give to you on your next visit. When you stopped by, I forgot. :eek:

Attachments

• Magnificum.JPG
    Magnificum.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 119
This was a small rooted cutting Mike (Bullwinkle) gave to me as Van Houti. Well it grew into a very nice looking croton but its not Van Houti.

Could this be the true Ann Rutherford ? :confused: Ray needs to stop by when he gets back from Thailand. ;)

Attachments

• Van Houti.JPG
    Van Houti.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 123
Mike (Bullwinkle) - I could not figure out how to attach a photo to a private message. Took this photo of the Nellie Halgrim you inquired about this morning. :eek:

Attachments

• Nellie Halgrim.JPG
    Nellie Halgrim.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 127