Pop's yard

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Besides my stoplight, no other croton throws such bold yellow leaves. This pic does not do it justice but new growth is damn near neon yellow. A real eye catcher from a distance. Which other crotons unfurl and keep these solid colors for so long? This one has been like this a couple weeks now, just now showing hints of green.

Attachments

• pop.jpg
    pop.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 98
Unfortunately, those bold yellow leaves contain no chlorophyll and will likely die sooner than the others Many will sport a yellow branch - only to have it die later in the year.

Phil,

They are starting to show green now and my stoplight has went from this color to a nice orange. I thought white showed a lack of chlorophyll? Time will tell.

Attachments

• stop.jpg
    stop.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 89
The yellow leaves will eventually change color and have little to do, in this case, with a lack of chlorophyll. Here's another example - William Craig. These leaves come out yellow and stay yellow for months before going to red.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 73
Thanks to both.
Ricky, you confirmed what I was getting at. Some plants shoot out these very yellow leaves and hold them much longer than others before coloring up. I want to keep adding to this list, may lead to lineage, cold hardiness etc... Never know.

..and here's some yellow leaves that will make it - and some that will not.
Only the one in the UR is going to make it; the other three are toast due to lack of chlorophyl

Attachments

• DSCN3573.jpg
    DSCN3573.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3574.jpg
    DSCN3574.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3575.jpg
    DSCN3575.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3576.jpg
    DSCN3576.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 91
%$#@! moved the pics around on me in the above post -only the middle top one is going to make it
...and here's a few more:
first one is sporting to a total yellow and probable death
middle one is a ghostly white and will not make it long term
final one is sporting to a total yellow; will keep an eye on this one

Attachments

• DSCN3577.jpg
    DSCN3577.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3578.jpg
    DSCN3578.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3579.jpg
    DSCN3579.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 89
Bren - my experience with Pop's Yard is paralleling yours. The last flushes of leaves look really yellow then green mottling slowly forms. Then it procceds to having the green develope and some serious orange happens to the remaining yellow variegation.

My theory is this is a Fall thing. If yellow leaves like that appeared in the strong summer sun, they would be fried. The shortened days with gentler sun rays may be the cause. ;)

And then again, who knows with such genetically unstable plants. Just a Moose theory ... :rolleyes: