Nature Can Be Cruel

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This Spring we had to battle drought, croton scale, mealy bugs and red spider mites. Just when you think you have overcome the maladies this happens. :mad: These are pictures of snail chew marks on my Mona Lisa leaves. Couldn't chew on Veitchii leaves. No they have to dine on my slowest cultivar. :(

I guess I need to add spreading snail bait as another garden chore. The Merit does not appear to effect them. :(

Attachments

• Mona Lisa.jpg
    Mona Lisa.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Mona Lisa2.jpg
    Mona Lisa2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Mona Lisa3.jpg
    Mona Lisa3.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 84
Lubber Grasshoppers start at the edges and move toward the rachis. Snails make holes using a rasping action. I had this another time on my Van Buren. Lubber Grasshoppers have not been seen in the Moose Land for many a year, Thank God. ;)

Lubber Grasshopper? Whatever was chewing tried it for awhile and figured it was not very appetizing.

We have snails and iguanas chewing on our crotons in the Keys! Especially those on the canal side of our property.

Here in my garden, I've never had snail damage on crotons thank god. Is this plant in the ground Ron? Thinking about what u could wrap around the stem to deter them. Sluggo has to be reapplied after rains, no?

Jeff, It would look more beautiful in my garden------no I dont have it.

Bren - yes in the ground.

As for Sluggo .... OHHH NOOOOOOOOO he is so mean to me. :eek:

Here in my garden, I've never had snail damage on crotons thank god. Is this plant in the ground Ron? Thinking about what u could wrap around the stem to deter them. Sluggo has to be reapplied after rains, no?

Attachments

• Mr. Bill.jpg
    Mr. Bill.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 64
  • MrBillSluggo.jpg
    MrBillSluggo.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 61