How much ?

I spent $40 last year. It was $40 more than I needed to spend, but it was for the Croton Society. I'd much rather find the plants growing in someone's backyard and ask for cuttings than use money I could spend on sushi. For those of you who haven't been to my garden, I must have around 200 Crotons in the ground; at least 70 or 80 different varieties. Yet more than 90 percent of them came from cuttings - free cuttings. Sure, I had to get them to root and then wait for them to mature, but that's what a garden is for.

I can understand collectors who would spend their milk and cookies money to buy a Croton variety that's near and dear to them. Likewise, it's easy to see how orchid collectors will spend thousands on a rare piece. But I see them all as just plants and all with the same monetary value. To tell you the truth, there's more money in mulch and rocks than all the plants in my garden put together!

I was never one for shelling out lots of money for a plant. I've traded so many times over the years, I've lost count. BUT....because I have a pretty good palm and croton collection at the nursery, I seem to always have something that the other party wants.. If not, I'll just wait, or do without.