Croton "America"

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Per Bob A., the plant labeled Dreer #7 in the book is really America. Mine finally got some color this year.

therealAmerica2.jpg

Jeff,

Bob says the Dreer # 7 plant looks a bit different. Graf's book Exotica has black and white photos of both plants. My plant is a two year old cutting but there are two plants in my neighborhood with some size. Can I offer you a cutting?

Ray

Jeff,

Bob says the Dreer # 7 plant looks a bit different. Graf's book Exotica has black and white photos of both plants. My plant is a two year old cutting but there are two plants in my neighborhood with some size. Can I offer you a cutting?

Ray

My God, how, or when or what made you look or find these pictures in Exotica?Lol!!! I think I need to start doing more research myself. That's great if there are two large plants in your area. I would love to get a cutting, if you can get a few more, I'll root them , give them back to you and you can then donate them for the society. But thanks for introducing me to yet another new one......

I put an "America" cutting in the mist house last week that I'll trade for one of the crotons I'm looking for. It will be another month before it's ready though.

My Wish List:
Blotched Corot
Blotched Jungle Queen
Blotched Raphael
Col. Lindbergh
Cover Girl (a better clone than mine)
Confucius
Da Vinci
Davis #10
Davis Estate
Delaware
Exotica
Gov. Martinez
Ishi
John Halgrim Jr.
Lucile Alonso
Michaelangelo
Pres. Eisenhower
Puccini
Ruby Davis
Seminole Queen
The Pearl

Marie,

That's one hell of a wish list. Looks almost identical to mine!! I have three on the list usually at all times.

Col. Lindbergh
Michaelangelo
President Eisenhower

Alot of these are really exceptional and hard to find.

Jeff,
Would you like to trade a piece of any one of them for the "America"? Also, I think the "Embassy" that you liked is rooted.
Marie

Wow Marie, you are a high maintenance croton girl! :p And I thought Judy Glock was bad. Would this be considered a "blotched Raphael" ??? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 171
I'm honored to be grouped with Judy - she's a classey lady with good taste.

In the picture I've seen of the Blotched Raphael, the blotch is a hot pink rather than the pale yellow or pale pink of the regular Raphael. There's a picture in the Society's 2002 calendar.

Jeff,
Would you like to trade a piece of any one of them for the "America"? Also, I think the "Embassy" that you liked is rooted.
Marie

Hi Marie,

First, we missed you and Steve at the croton garden tour today. A pretty good crowd, great food and a beautifully lush garden to walk around in.

Rob (Borgy230) and I actually planned on calling you and Steve this week to see if it would be possible to come by for a visit. Rob has been interested on coming by and asked if I would come. So, we can arainge to bring you something down.

I heard you were unable to come today because of your sale. I hope it went well and lots of people showed up. I'll be in touch.

Jeff

Update: I picked up a "America" at the last auction we had at Ricky's place. It came from Phil. Phil had it buried in shade and was a bit stretched. Only on a couple of old leaves did you see evidence of the leaf margins doing what you see in the picture posted by Ray in post #1. The new leaves on my plant have some hints of wavy leaf margins. Ray stated that Phil has the true America in another thread.

Jeff discovered (rediscovered) Dreer #7 in an old east Fort Lauderdale neighborhood. These are definitely two distinct cultivars. Is it the "true" Dreer #7, I have no idea. Not really worried if both plants are "correctly named. They are beauties and I am fortunate to have them. :)