COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF STEWARTII

donroberth

19/07/09
“Very cold tolerant”
REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.67.

“Type W, 3-1/2" x 10", Marking very considerably. In many specimens green predominated but in highly colored specimens the predominating color is golden yellow, marbled rich deep green. The leaf is margined rose”
REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.14.

“Yellow veins and margin, midrib & petiole red. the most cold resistant”
REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

NOTE: When I selected STEWARTII and started to put this pictorial together I remembered these comments that I had read in the FORUM about a year or so ago. I couldn’t agree more with these two gentlemen.

RAY HERNANDEZ: ”What crotons do you snub as "ugly" (this term is blasphemous as no croton is ugly) or too common? A well grown Petra is ubiquitous but no less beautiful because of this?…Petra perhaps or maybe the most cold hardy crotons, Stewartii and Yellow Excurrens.”

MOOSE: “I know that some collectors may pooh-pooh the Stewartii, I happen to enjoy seeing a nicely colored up one".

If you are one of these folk, not to put anyone down, but take a look and enjoy what some Costa Rican gardeners have done with STEWARTII. These gardens are not as beautiful as some that I have seen displayed on this FORUM but none-the-less very attractive and a few unusually huge cultivars!

As Moose said, "I happen to enjoy seeing a nicely colored up one”…that goes for me too! :p

FOTOS: 1-2-3-4, four close-up fotos for Ann

Attachments

• 01 STEWARTII-NEW FLUSH.jpg
    01 STEWARTII-NEW FLUSH.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 115
  • 02 STEWARTII-CLOSEUP OF FOTO #06.jpg
    02 STEWARTII-CLOSEUP OF FOTO #06.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 03 STEWARTII-AFTER A GOOD RAIN.jpg
    03 STEWARTII-AFTER A GOOD RAIN.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 04 STEWARTII-NO DIRECT SUN 24-7.jpg
    04 STEWARTII-NO DIRECT SUN 24-7.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 112
FOTO: 05 relatively young grouping

FOTO: 06 ‘BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE THERE’S NO PLACE LIKE HOME’…with a nice CROTON in the front yard

FOTO: 07 front porch in Escazu

FOTO: 08 great place for a hammock

Attachments

• 05 STEWARTII-RELATIVELY YOUNG GROUPING.jpg
    05 STEWARTII-RELATIVELY YOUNG GROUPING.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 06 STEWARTII-'BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME'...WITH A NICE CROTON IN THE FRONT.jpg
    06 STEWARTII-'BE IT EVER SO HUMBLE THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME'...WITH A NICE CROTON IN THE FRONT.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 07 STEWARTII-FRONT PORCH IN ESCAZU.jpg
    07 STEWARTII-FRONT PORCH IN ESCAZU.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 08 STEWARTII-GREAT PLACE FOR A HAMMOCK.jpg
    08 STEWARTII-GREAT PLACE FOR A HAMMOCK.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 110
FOTO: 09 a country residence entrance with Mortii on the left

FOTO: 10 Atenas country garden

FOTO: 11 Villa Sueños, Guachipelin

FOTO: 12 one of my favorite Costa Rica country garden pix

Attachments

• 09 STEWARTII-COUNTRY RESIDENCE ENTRANCE, MORTII ON THE LEFT.jpg
    09 STEWARTII-COUNTRY RESIDENCE ENTRANCE, MORTII ON THE LEFT.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 10 STEWARTII-ATENAS COUNTRY GARDEN.jpg
    10 STEWARTII-ATENAS COUNTRY GARDEN.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 11 STEWARTII-VILLA SUEÑOS, GUACHIPELIN.jpg
    11 STEWARTII-VILLA SUEÑOS, GUACHIPELIN.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 117
  • 12 STEWARTII-ONE OF MY FAVORITE COSTA RICA COUNTRY GARDEN PIX.jpg
    12 STEWARTII-ONE OF MY FAVORITE COSTA RICA COUNTRY GARDEN PIX.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 131
FOTO: 13 A corner home in San Mateo…

FOTO: 14 with a bunch of Stewartii’s behind it all in a row. Let’s take a few more close-up fotos of this multitude for Ann

FOTO: 15 plenty of red petioles

Attachments

• 13 STEWARTII-CORNER HOME IN SAN MATEO.jpg
    13 STEWARTII-CORNER HOME IN SAN MATEO.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 14 STEWARTII-ALL IN A ROW.jpg
    14 STEWARTII-ALL IN A ROW.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 15 STEWARTII-PLENTY OF RED PETIOLES.jpg
    15 STEWARTII-PLENTY OF RED PETIOLES.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 142
FOTO: 16 close-up

FOTO: 17 showing off some yellow

FOTO: 18 two new flushes

FOTO: 19 pair of roosters

FOTO: 20 mature leaf cluster

Attachments

• 16 STEWARTII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    16 STEWARTII-CLOSEUP.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 17 STEWARTII-SHOWING OFF SOME YELLOW.jpg
    17 STEWARTII-SHOWING OFF SOME YELLOW.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 18 STEWARTII-TWO NEW FLUSHES.jpg
    18 STEWARTII-TWO NEW FLUSHES.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 19 STEWARTII-PAIR OF ROOSTERS.jpg
    19 STEWARTII-PAIR OF ROOSTERS.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20 STEWARTII-MATURE LEAF CLUSTER.jpg
    20 STEWARTII-MATURE LEAF CLUSTER.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 109
FOTO: 20 mature leaf cluster
Thanks always look forward to your photos. The last shot is the best example I have ever seen.:)

Robertico, I was just telling my husband that I love seeing the colorful and impeccably taken-care-of homes in Costa Rica that are shown in your photos. When we were there, one day we traveled in the countryside and got to see this in person. Every home and garden was so clean and people took such pride in what was theirs. I love that. I wasn't into crotons at that time, but being into gardening in general, I still appreciated that there was such variety in the crotons and that they were so colorful and large there. I thank you for your great presentation. I really appreciate the historical, informational, and personal views you give. Thank-you! Even though I already have a small Stewartii, I now want to rush out and buy another one.

:cool: Thanks for the great photos again and as always I enjoy your Costa Rica Croton Wanderings. I started 2 cuttings off a very old Stewartii that has withstood the test of cold in my area for many moons. I will be planting them in the ground this spring with hopes that they someday will look as good as those photos you have shared with us.

Stewartii is a beautiful croton period. Because it is relatively cold hardy and an undemanding cultivar they easily found. If Exotica was found every where like Stewartii and Stewartii was the uber rare croton, we would all be looking for Stewartii.

To: Native Son, Kingdavid, Annfl, Scott Mcintosh and Moose…Many thanks! I enjoy putting these pictorials together and it’s great to know all of you enjoy them also. :D