Butia Hybrid Pictures

Update: The 5 year old Butiagrus offspring palm is pushing a spathe from a leafbase 2 feet from ground. :cool:

Just a update on the flowering.........................................................................................................I am still waiting..........................................................spathe is still growing, but its a very s l o w go.

Update: The 5 year old Butiagrus offspring palm is pushing a spathe from a leafbase 2 feet from ground. :cool:
And after waiting about 4 months from first noticing the spathe... its about time!

Attachments

• IMG_7276.jpg
    IMG_7276.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 358
I have checked the male flowers the last 2 days and have noticed that no pollen is produced on them.

The colors are wonderful. I have yet to see any of the hybrids here that put off multiple colors. I recall a recent photo you posted of a Syagrus x Butia the reverse cross that had the same thing happening. Is this the same tree? I would like to try the reverse cross this year.

The colors are wonderful. I have yet to see any of the hybrids here that put off multiple colors. I recall a recent photo you posted of a Syagrus x Butia the reverse cross that had the same thing happening. Is this the same tree? I would like to try the reverse cross this year.

Erik, Not the same tree. I will guess that only 1/10 (what I have seen) of my hybrids have produced multi colors.

This one gets to sit by the pool all day...

Attachments

• IMG_7555.jpg
    IMG_7555.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_7556.jpg
    IMG_7556.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 374
Update ButiaxButiagrus.

Attachments

• IMG_8115.jpg
    IMG_8115.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_8118.jpg
    IMG_8118.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_8116.jpg
    IMG_8116.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 348
Update Hybrid #4: Now at 5yrs old and flowering for the first time. Flower stalk looks very much like its mother Butia. Leaves still more plumose than on my other hybrids.

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpg
    IMG_8449.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_8445.jpg
    IMG_8445.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 356
I have checked the male flowers the last 2 days and have noticed that no pollen is produced on them.

Scott have you heard that the mule palm is being considered for allergy free gardens because of the lack of male pollen? Up north they are all ready passing laws for schools and playgrounds to stop planting male trees and replacing them with female or male pollen free trees.

Hybrids? Wow. These look really nice. The combination of colors is really great. They are beautiful. On the other hand, the disadvantage in making hybrids is that most of the times they are sterile or else have an abnormal behavior or look.

Here are the first pictures of a new hybrid that I received last year. These are Butia odorataX Jubaea. Only has pushed 2 leaves in a year.

Attachments

• IMG_9058.jpg
    IMG_9058.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 360
The ButiaXButiagrus hybrid showing a nice leaf curve to its leaves...

Attachments

• IMG_9724.jpg
    IMG_9724.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9725.jpg
    IMG_9725.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_9726.jpg
    IMG_9726.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_9729.jpg
    IMG_9729.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 356
Dean, That one is my favorite now days. I now have a S. schizophylla to work with, removed the male flowers today. Will cross with Butia, may make a smaller hybrid type tree.

Attachments

• IMG_9834.jpg
    IMG_9834.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_9787.jpg
    IMG_9787.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 335
I'm sorry scott for replying so late.
Here are some pictures. They look good. I have to mention, that the butyagrus is growing almost three times as fast as the red leaf based capitata.
On the last picture is also a capitata odorata its growing speed is equal to the red leaf based capitata.

Marcel

Hey Marcel - where are the latest updated Photos ? :confused:

Is this maybe a Butia hybrid? I bought it by mail order as a Ceroxylon but clearly it is not that! It looks a bit like Jubaea but something seems amiss and has grown rapidly from a one leaf seedling without seed attached. It's quite glaucous.
IMG_5051.JPGIMG_5050.JPGIMG_5049.JPGIMG_5052.JPG

cheers
Richard

Richard, I would hang on to the palm also. I really think it is a hybrid, I have very little knowledge of Jubaea hybrids. Here are a pics of my 2 yr old B.odorataXJubaea.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 334
Here is a B.yatayXS.rom mule that I have had for a few years now. I really have neglected it also thinking it looked to much like a Butia, but this last year it has taken on a new look. I will be planting it in the ground real soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 346
Richard, I would hang on to the palm also. I really think it is a hybrid, I have very little knowledge of Jubaea hybrids. Here are a pics of my 2 yr old B.odorataXJubaea.

Hmmm - Butia odorata is not a very large palm and then crossed with a monster? :eek: I'd be very interested to see what your palm developes into Scott - if I could live that long LOL ;)

Hmmm - Butia odorata is not a very large palm and then crossed with a monster? :eek: I'd be very interested to see what your palm developes into Scott - if I could live that long LOL ;)

I know what you mean Moose. I got two leaves on each in 2012.

Scott I'm interested in any feedback you have or later observe about the fertility of your ButiaxButyagrus. Very rare palm you have there. I wonder if the backcrossing helps or further hurts fertility (whether self-fertility or as pollen donor)?

It would be interesting if some of that nice Butyagrus character could be retained, even if a little 'watered down' with Butia genes.

Steve
St. Augustine, FL

Steve, Here are photos of the Butia X Butiagrus taken today. When I worked on this cross I used pollen from 2 of my hybrids (1) S.rom X Butia and (2) Butia X S.rom. As the offspring have grown I believe I have sorted who the father really is. These are much slower growing than the S.rom X Butia X Butia.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 341
Steve, Here is a side by side of the palms. Left is what I believe is Butia X Butiagrus and on the right Butia X Syutia (S.rom X Butia).

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 338
Thanks for posting those photos -- big difference in growth rates there. But I'm a little confused... do you have any of this F2 generation yet flowering? It will be interesting to see if they are more or less fertile than Butyagrus itself.

Steve

Thanks for posting those photos -- big difference in growth rates there. But I'm a little confused... do you have any of this F2 generation yet flowering? It will be interesting to see if they are more or less fertile than Butyagrus itself.

Steve

Steve, Took this pic today of the F2 from Butiagrus seed now flowering for the 3rd time. No luck so far on setting fruit. Hope the bee is helping here.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 338
Cool action shot of the bee! :D In the name of science you should also try that palm (or one of the later F2s) as pollen donor too. As I recall, you concluded that Butyagrus itself was more potent as a pollen donor... maybe that will also be true for the F2.

Steve

Steve, Look close in the center of this picture. There is a one leaf seedling growing out of the boot of the Butiagrus that I got the offspring from. I think I need to get up there and get it out to grow it on. No other palm close so it may have produced another baby.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 326
Hmm.. the plot thickens ;) I didn't realize any of the other F2s came from a Butyagrus... thought it was the reverse cross (Butia "mother"). I hope you experiment on this Butyagrus to establish whether its limited fertility is coming from its own pollen or a nearby palm. Maybe you already have... I should re-read this thread.

This reminds me of Dr. Merrill Wilcox surprising observation that Butyagrus, when maternally fertile, appear to be self-fertile -- the type of fertility that's usually 'first to go'.

Steve

I know what you mean Moose. I got two leaves on each in 2012.

Hmmmm - that is very slow. Perhaps it is an indication that Jubaea DNA made it into the cross. One of my laments about living in South Florida is I cannot grow a Jubaea. However, I appreciate all the palms that I can grow that a climate that the Jubaea thrives in cannot support.

Scott - this cross may end up being a real huge monster. :eek:

Steve, Look close in the center of this picture. There is a one leaf seedling growing out of the boot of the Butiagrus that I got the offspring from. I think I need to get up there and get it out to grow it on. No other palm close so it may have produced another baby.

Operation complete...

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 329
Hey Marcel - where are the latest updated Photos ? :confused:

Hi Moose

The butyagrus is planted out in my garden. Right now it is tied together and protected under snow.
After planting out last year it unfortunately had a bad start and suffered sunburn and lost its spear.
Although it thrives and I hope it will come through well under lots of dry leaves and snow.
The other Butia I'm going to give to a friend who lives in Ticino, at the most southern point of Switzerland just a few minutes from Italy.
A much milder and sunnier place than mine.

I will post some pictures in Summer.

Marcel

:(:(She gave me my first hybrids, that started my love for them. I am going to miss this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 333