An unsightly part of the garden ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Its a bit embarrassing, here is an unsightly and neglected area of my garden. :eek:

This is under an 60 year old avocado tree. I plan on cleaning up the area and create my newest croton bed. It will be next to impossible to dig due to the mass of roots. Mound planting will have to be the technique to accomplish this endeavor. Lots of compost and mulch will be needed. :)

This is the morning sun that this area gets, remains in shade for the rest of the day. My vision is to mix crotons, understory cycads and palms here. Will update with pictures as the process unfolds. ;)

Attachments

• Unsightly.jpg
    Unsightly.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Unsightly2.jpg
    Unsightly2.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Unsightly3.jpg
    Unsightly3.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Unsightly4.jpg
    Unsightly4.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 66
My whole yard is unsightly at the moment. You're a brave man LOL. Bet it will look fantastic. One question though. I've always read that it's really bad to mound, mulch too heavily around trees. Their roots suffocate. Is this a fallacy?

Toby - It is a large specimen Vanda sp. orchid. Two bloom spikes just got wasted by thrips. It was rescued as a youngerster from a tree that died and was to be cut down about 17 years ago. It has grown quite a bit since then. On the backside of the staghorn is a large Oncidium sp. that just finished with 4 massive bloom spikes that had easily 1,000 small blooms collectively.

My original plan was to have colorful orchids all over the garden. The only ones that remain are those that have acclimated and survive on their own. Too much hassle for way too little of color. Crotons fill the niche for color in the garden now. :cool:

Ron, you've just confirmed my belief that orchids are not easy to grow. I work with a few people that say orchids "thrive on neglect" and only need a "little misting" here and here. There's more to keeping those things alive than most orchid fanatics will admit.

Ron, you've just confirmed my belief that orchids are not easy to grow. I work with a few people that say orchids "thrive on neglect" and only need a "little misting" here and here. There's more to keeping those things alive than most orchid fanatics will admit.

Ray, I agree that they "thrive on neglect". Do not baby them and you will be rewarded.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 75
Sadly a year and a half later this section looks even worse. :(

Fortunately other areas have been improved. Overall - I got crap laying around every where. Hmmmm - one day at a time ... :p