Yellow (White?) Monarch

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Don't believe there are too many of these floating about. Yellow (or is it white?) Monarch :D

Attachments

• Yellow Monarch 1.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 1.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Yellow Monarch 2.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 2.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 127
Was this a sport off of a Monarch? If not...........

Jeff - I did not take it as a sport from Monarch. The person who gave it to me got it as a cutting from a beat up looking plant. Its in a three gallon container and is just starting to look decent after two years of me babying it. It sure is slow like Monarch.

Look at the size of its leaves. After I get it into the ground and it gets established - who knows what its potential could be? :eek:

Attachments

• Yellow Monarch 1.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 1.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Yellow Monarch 2.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 2.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Yellow Monarch 3.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 3.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Yellow Monarch 4.JPG
    Yellow Monarch 4.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 165
I have to say, it does resemble a Monarch leaf. It matches up with the leaf shape and patterns. Did the guy state that it was a Monarch or not? If so,it's new to me. Very cool!

It needs to get into the ground. Then we can revisit it after a couple of growing seasons have elasped. If it starts developing 24+ inch leaves then, well ....
:rolleyes:

I have to say, it does resemble a Monarch leaf. It matches up with the leaf shape and patterns. Did the guy state that it was a Monarch or not? If so,it's new to me. Very cool!

Jeff - he wouldn't say. There are also some very interesting looking plants in his collection, so I'm not gonna push.

This croton's newest leaf is a monster. Its still getting bigger as it is still very soft and was flopped down. It can't even support itself although fully hydrated, no rigidity yet. Jose stopped by this morning and I asked him to hold up the leaf so a proper photo could be taken. Jose had to use both hands.:eek:

If this is not White Monarch, what other croton has such massive leaves? Maybe it should be called "White Moose".

Attachments

• White Monarch.JPG
    White Monarch.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 129
Ron,
We brought some plants back from Hawaii in March 2012 that I thought were Yellow Monarch. Ever since your first post, I have been looking for them so we can compare. I haven't found them yet but I know they're here somewhere.
Marie

Marie - I hope you find them. The your leaves probably won't be that large. The Monarchs seem to take awhile to get established and putting out those wonderful large leaves.

Here is my "normal" or "colored" Monarch that I got from you. His Daddy has been kissing his butt trying to push this plant to get large.

Attachments

• Monarch 1.JPG
    Monarch 1.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 114
  • Monarch 2.JPG
    Monarch 2.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 114
Hmmm. something got potted up this afternoon. Got a little tasting of mineral supplements for the winter. In the ground come March!

Attachments

• White Monarch 1.JPG
    White Monarch 1.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 123
  • White Monarch 2.JPG
    White Monarch 2.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 118