WIKI tutorials, suggestion, questions

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
This thread will be dedicated to tutorials, suggestions and questions for our WIKI.
DISCLAIMER - We Will Be Using Some of Your Photos
We will be attempting to generate some interest in getting the many photos, and a lot of the information we are collecting here, into the Online Croton Reference. If you have any objections to the use of your photos, let us know.

We are assuming that since you already posted them on Palmpedia's Croton Forum, that you have no objection to them being posted on another part of Palmpedia - the Online Croton Reference Encyclopedia as well.

This is something that anyone can help with - a little or a lot. Stay tuned for the beginnings of this project, and consider helping a little if you can. It could be as simple as when you are uploading any photos to the Forum, to also upload some to the wiki - with names. That would help a lot. Wiki photos can be much larger, higher quality, and uploaded 10 at a time.

Direct link to the WIKI
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/CROTON_ONLINE_REFERENCE

How to Post pictures to the WIKI

1. From the WIKI link, select the "Upload multiple files' hyperlink in the useful links box. Aprox half way down the menu on the left.

2. On your computer, be sure to name your files something that you can remember easily. Example: clipper_junglegal.jpg
You can upload 10 pictures at one time & it's a fast process.

3. Once your picture is uploaded, find the name page of the croton you want to post a pic for. You can either search it's name using the search feature on the left or use the master name list to find it.

4. click the edit tab at the top of the page. If there is not another existing picture to copy code from, you will use this

[[Image:insert_your_filename_here.jpg|thumb|450px|Picture taken by insert forum members name]]

Note** If your file contains capital letters or underscores, you must type in your file name using them or your picture will not show.

Hit preview to make sure your picture shows on the page. If it does hit save and you're done! Give it a shot, I'm available with any questions you may have.

Removing the asterisk from a page title once a picture is added

1. click move tab
2. remove the asterisk from the name in the 'to new title' box
3. click the move page button

How to add a new page if the name does not yet exist in our WIKI
1. Input the name in CAPS into the seach box on the left & hit enter
2. If the name does not exist, it will ask you if you want to add the page, click the hyperlink to create this page
3. Blank page in edit mode will come up with your title
4. You will need to add code for both the master name list so they show up on the master pages so people will see them. Here is the code to copy/paste.
[[Category:MASTER NAME LIST]]
and here are codes to copy/paste depending on the plant.

[[Category:BROAD LEAF]]
[[Category:NARROW LEAF]]
[[Category:SMALL LEAF]]
[[Category:INTERRUPTED LEAF]]
[[Category:OAK LEAF]]
[[Category:RECURVED LEAF]]
[[Category:SEMI-OAK LEAF]]
[[Category:VERY NARROW LEAF]]
[[Category:SPIRAL LEAF]]

This is a tutorial in progress....if you have any questions. PM me and I will walk you through it.

I've been thinking about whether or not we should ask Dr. Brown for permission to use his photos in the wiki - I wouldn't use them without his OK of course.
And I wouldn't want to hurt his book sales either, but isn't it out of print? Are there still many new copies available for sale??
If other members think this might be a good idea, then I think we should at least ask while he is still around...

I've been thinking about whether or not we should ask Dr. Brown for permission to use his photos in the wiki - I wouldn't use them without his OK of course.
And I wouldn't want to hurt his book sales either, but isn't it out of print? Are there still many new copies available for sale??
If other members think this might be a good idea, then I think we should at least ask while he is still around...

Absolutely, I think Dr. Brown should be consulted. Hopefully, he has the authority and will give permission to use the photos in his book. I don't think it should hurt the sales. It might even help to sell more, due to the free publicity.

By the way, I'm sure everyone appreciates the extra time and effort you, Scott and the Junglegal are expending to further enhance this site.

Great idea! The wiki is missing a lot of photos of the named hybrids that are in the book.

For the WIKI to be a true on line reference on growing Crotons, help is needed by everyone. Tell your Experience with each named plant, growing conditions,light conditions, problems etc. If you grow it as a house plant, potted plant or in ground your input will be useful. Pick one of your hybrids a day go to the WIKI page for that hybrid hit Discussion and tells us your experience.

One thing that has always troubled me is that although we align ourselves with the society, the existance of this site is not reciprocated. Matter a fact, if you go to the croton society 'official' site, it's full of broken links.

You go to the society site and there is no mention of this forum, nor is this forum mentioned in periodicals or flyers at sales.

A simple flyer passed out at sales would bring in so many new posters (hopefully new members) The society has a booth at the fair I believe? Imagine if we passed out small flyers to passers by?!

While I agree it would be nice to have Dr. Brown's pics, I think we have bigger fish to fry with getting our advertising aligned first. We are not reaching the masses like we should be. Eventually, we will all be bored of each other without some new blood.

Lee is the president, Ray Hernandez (crazy for crotons) is on the board and crotonbitch is I believe the treasurer. Lets have a meeting of the minds and get serious!
There is an email and phone number published on the calender too. I'm not going to publish those but you can PM if you want to contact them privately.

Looks like we got a woodchuck in our wood pile in the Wiki. :(

Under Columbia it refers you to page 55 of Crotons of the World. This is erroneous as it for the closely named Columbiana but two totally different crotons. This decription needs to be moved to Columbiana Wiki thread. I do not know how to do this. Some help from you computer saavy persons please ... ;)

This thread will be dedicated to tutorials, suggestions and questions for our WIKI.
DISCLAIMER - We Will Be Using Some of Your Photos
We will be attempting to generate some interest in getting the many photos, and a lot of the information we are collecting here, into the Online Croton Reference. If you have any objections to the use of your photos, let us know.

We are assuming that since you already posted them on Palmpedia's Croton Forum, that you have no objection to them being posted on another part of Palmpedia - the Online Croton Reference Encyclopedia as well.

This is something that anyone can help with - a little or a lot. Stay tuned for the beginnings of this project, and consider helping a little if you can. It could be as simple as when you are uploading any photos to the Forum, to also upload some to the wiki - with names. That would help a lot. Wiki photos can be much larger, higher quality, and uploaded 10 at a time.

Direct link to the WIKI
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/CROTON_ONLINE_REFERENCE

How to Post pictures to the WIKI

1. From the WIKI link, select the "Upload multiple files' hyperlink in the useful links box. Aprox half way down the menu on the left.

2. On your computer, be sure to name your files something that you can remember easily. Example: clipper_junglegal.jpg
You can upload 10 pictures at one time & it's a fast process.

3. Once your picture is uploaded, find the name page of the croton you want to post a pic for. You can either search it's name using the search feature on the left or use the master name list to find it.

4. click the edit tab at the top of the page. If there is not another existing picture to copy code from, you will use this

[[Image:insert_your_filename_here.jpg|thumb|450px|Picture taken by insert forum members name]]

Note** If your file contains capital letters or underscores, you must type in your file name using them or your picture will not show.

Hit preview to make sure your picture shows on the page. If it does hit save and you're done! Give it a shot, I'm available with any questions you may have.

Removing the asterisk from a page title once a picture is added

1. click move tab
2. remove the asterisk from the name in the 'to new title' box
3. click the move page button

How to add a new page if the name does not yet exist in our WIKI
1. Input the name in CAPS into the seach box on the left & hit enter
2. If the name does not exist, it will ask you if you want to add the page, click the hyperlink to create this page
3. Blank page in edit mode will come up with your title
4. You will need to add code for both the master name list so they show up on the master pages so people will see them. Here is the code to copy/paste.
[[Category:MASTER NAME LIST]]
and here are codes to copy/paste depending on the plant.

[[Category:NARROW LEAF]]
[[Category:SMALL LEAF]]
[[Category:INTERRUPTED LEAF]]
[[Category:OAK LEAF]]
[[Category:RECURVED LEAF]]
[[Category:SEMI-OAK LEAF]]
[[Category:VERY NARROW LEAF]]
[[Category:SPIRAL LEAF]]

This is a tutorial in progress....if you have any questions. PM me and I will walk you through it.

Is this process obsolete since the software change? :oops:

Having just read Sue Cutler Smith's post would it not be a good idea to make lists of as many of the recognized hybridizes, and maybe some of the material coming out today. If it is already out there please tell how to find it.

Having just read Sue Cutler Smith's post would it not be a good idea to make lists of as many of the recognized hybridizes, and maybe some of the material coming out today. If it is already out there please tell how to find it.

Jeff did some threads awhile back:

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/index.php?threads/series-2-mr-ralph-davis.2761/#post-45035

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/index.php?threads/series-3-mr-aubrey-christian.2999/

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/index.php?threads/series-1-mr-henry-coppinger.2751/#post-45301

After a thorough search of the croton forum, a listing of Robert Halgrim's introductions has not been done. Many are rare and found only in a few serious collectors gardens. Keith may have the most extensive collection, at least his collection being one that I am aware of. I'm sure Mark Hooten has some of these gems.