Very strange December??

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
I have had average temps of 82 in the day and 70 at night,also I have recorded almost 4 ins of rain for the first 13 days of Dec.Almost feels like spring,my plants are also growing like crazy,I put some late airlayers on Nov 15 and I took them of yesterday to find them all well rooted and looking great.I had a look and on todays date last year the high temp today in my zip was 58 and the low was 34!!Let us hope it stays like this.

Thanks Mike! This thread made me go check two air layers I did on Nov. 1st in another yard. Nice roots and they just got potted up. If they make it, I'll post photos ... could be interesting ... :p

Ray - thank you for your cynicism. :rolleyes: The odds of having three harsh winters in a row is kinda high ... :)

As Phil would say, If I could predict the weather.....

Remember, mother nature doesn't care about statistics. This winter has no memory of the last two ot three. December of 1984 was warmer than normal and then came mid January 1985. We had a lovely, sparkling, wintry 21 degrees at the airport here. I think Miami dropped to a lovely 28F and had at or below freezing temps for 3 consecutive nights. All I'm saying is proceed with caution and keep an eye on the forecast. I'll be smiling more on February 20th or so when the hard freeze danger is gone.

This may be a wierd winter, but the crotons seem to love it as evidenced by the new growth. Pics taken today 13-Dec 2011.
UL Cornelius halgrim
LL Col Gilbert Cutler
UR Kentucky
LR Fishbone & Kentucky

Attachments

• DSCN3586.jpg
    DSCN3586.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN3587.jpg
    DSCN3587.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3588.jpg
    DSCN3588.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN3589.jpg
    DSCN3589.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 120
That is some great growth Phil.Here are pics of my two recent layers.Both were very well rooted after 4 weeks.One is Charles Rutherford and the other is Duncan Mccaw.At least that is what I suspect??They are both around 18-24 ins.

Attachments

• crotons 001.jpg
    crotons 001.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 118
  • crotons 005.jpg
    crotons 005.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 108
  • crotons 006.jpg
    crotons 006.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 124
Ouch,Not too many leaves will be left after 18f for a couple hours.In fact 18f probably kills most of the plants in my garden:( Being outside today it seems funny that last year we were around 30f lower.That was a miserable couple of days!!

FYI: The record low for Tampa on todays date was 18f in 1962.

A really nice 61f low this morning. A year ago I was looking at a low of 31F with a high of 46F. The 7 day forcast looks great. If we can only hold these temps for about another 8 weeks. :)

Ouch,Not too many leaves will be left after 18f for a couple hours.In fact 18f probably kills most of the plants in my garden:( Being outside today it seems funny that last year we were around 30f lower.That was a miserable couple of days!!

I'd need to rent a bulldozer. :eek: :(

Mike,

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about 18F down there. Even in Miami, I think the all time low is "only" 27 or 28 degrees. You're biggest concern would be a circular wind storm that comes during the summer months.

Today Accuweather's outlook in the 10-15 day looks colder. Low/mid 40's for me, upper 40's to around 50 for SoFla. Hopefully this changes but unfortunately, it might actually feel like January next month.

I would not be surprised to see some cooler weather in January,it has so so hot this December that we must cool down soon.That said temps for the next 2 weeks look to be around 10 degrees above normal.Temps for Christmas Day is going to be 83 high and 71 low!!By the way Accuweather is the world's worst weather service.Their forecaster is Bastardi, he is without a doubt the biggest blowhard on the net.During hurricane season covering Hurricane Irene, his cone of uncertainty was from the Florida keys up to Nova Scotia.That is what you call covering all bases:)

Today Accuweather's outlook in the 10-15 day looks colder. Low/mid 40's for me, upper 40's to around 50 for SoFla. Hopefully this changes but unfortunately, it might actually feel like January next month.

I would not be surprised to see some cooler weather in January,it has so so hot this December that we must cool down soon.That said temps for the next 2 weeks look to be around 10 degrees above normal.Temps for Christmas Day is going to be 83 high and 71 low!!By the way Accuweather is the world's worst weather service.Their forecaster is Bastardi, he is without a doubt the biggest blowhard on the net.During hurricane season covering Hurricane Irene, his cone of uncertainty was from the Florida keys up to Nova Scotia.That is what you call covering all bases:)

Bastardi = Weather Bastard? :eek:

A low of 73 F just prior to sunrise. I walk around in the dark hand wetting all my crotons. Even though humidity levels are low, the plants stay wet for awhile at these temps. The wet mulch also keeps humidity levels up around the plants. :eek:

The Moose Land crotons are very happy. If this keeps up, my Mango trees might not get the trigger to start to bloom? :confused:

This is the time of year mango begin to bloom. Mine have been blooming the past two weeks.

The croton luv the warmer weather for this late in the year.

Today is winter solstice.

c103.jpg

You guys have experienced cooler temperatures. Since Ray posted about his Mango blooming, I have been surveying mangos in the area, nada blooming. :(

Yesterday, it went from April like weather to more like May. Crotons watered in the morning had their new leaves wilting by early afternoon. New leaf on the Corot got sunburned and withered. 85F in the shade, 90F recorded in the sunny areas in Moose Land. :p

You hit it dead on Mike - a very strange December indeed. :eek:

Lots of new growth on the Crotons this December. They are loving these temps we have now. Current temp here is 84 f.

Attachments

• IMG_6446.jpg
    IMG_6446.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6445.jpg
    IMG_6445.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6447.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6452.jpg
    IMG_6452.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6448.jpg
    IMG_6448.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6453.jpg
    IMG_6453.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 115
Great pics,It was 85 today down here.I have been sweating outside all day working on my Holiday project. I will try post pics tomorrow.Goal of project is a budget greenhouse with mist system that can hold around 60 cuttings with automatic timer.

Lots of new growth on the Crotons this December. They are loving these temps we have now. Current temp here is 84 f.

Very warm December,Only 3 nights in the 50's .Average was around 80 in the days and 67 nights.Tomorrow is projected at 81 high and 65 low.I am sure next month will be colder.I figure we will head back to averages but any coldsnaps are projected to be short lived as weather patterns are far different from the past 2 years.