Tell Me More About the Super Rare

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
Is it true that one of the crotons auctioned at your latest meeting went for several hundred dollars? What made it so rare? Was it really that beautiful? Is it unusual for a croton to demand that much money? Will the lucky bidder get his money back from cuttings?

Tell me more about the super rare.

The following answers are keyed to your questions:

Yes, it is true that one croton sold for $400.
It was a 1 yr.+ un-named seedling that evidenced some blotching in one or two leaves.
IMHO, No - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or owner.
Yes - quite unusual.
We may find out in a few years.

Rare croton: I do not have it but know where to get one eventually.
Super Rare croton: I do not have it, do not know where to get it, do not know anyone that has one, but really want it.
...and for both do not want to spend much money either!

Onward through the fog,

Phil

Regarding the $400.00 price, my take was that the two bidders were both very well aware that they were intertaining those of us in attendance at the meeting and at the same time knew quite well that they were contributing to the Croton Society treasury. So, all I can say is kudos to them; both great guys!

I wonder who would be crazy enough to spend $400 on an orphaned croton?

Well, that would be me. Or more accurately, the Friends of the Deerfield Beach Arboretum. Yes it was entertaining. Yes the money was going to a good cause. Yes it will be planted in the Arboretum. Yes, I do get to name it. (It will be called "Zeke Landis" or maybe just "Zeke" for the founder of the Arboretum.) Yes we are starting a curated Croton Garden in the Arboretum. And yes, Phil, you can have first dibs on the first cutting/airlayer.

Thanks Plant Nut, for the kudos.

I wonder who would be crazy enough to spend $400 on an orphaned croton?

Well, that would be me. Or more accurately, the Friends of the Deerfield Beach Arboretum. Yes it was entertaining. Yes the money was going to a good cause. Yes it will be planted in the Arboretum. Yes, I do get to name it. (It will be called "Zeke Landis" or maybe just "Zeke" for the founder of the Arboretum.) Yes we are starting a curated Croton Garden in the Arboretum. And yes, Phil, you can have first dibs on the first cutting/airlayer.

Thanks Plant Nut, for the kudos.

Jerry,

Now that it's been about a month or so, has the croton put out some more new leaves, and has it changed in any way with more color?

Also, keep us posted when your ready for some plants to start the collection at the gardens. I'll be glad to donate several. And just a thought, can a tag of some sort be put on these plants when planted with their variety names so in the future there's no question on the validity of their names ?

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm going to be working with Mark Peters, who I met at Rick's auction meeting, in setting up a real curated garden. This would include the names on aluminum plates mounted on PT lumber in front of each variety. We will invite people like you, Ticki Rick, Ricky G. Tampa Ray and anyone else who wants to help organize and plan the garden.

The color hasn't changed much on "Zeke" yet. I'll have to post some pics.

Hi Jerry,

Since "Zeke" appeared to have some red in the leaves, I'd guess partial/filtered sun might suit it best. The yellow and green varieties prefer more direct sun for the most part. After planting it, give it some good fertilizer and perhaps something like Muir acid to wet its appetite. All of this should force out the real color.

Ray

Hi Jerry:
How about naming the croton "Zeke 400". Under the circumstances, that would be very appropriate and something to talk about for years to come...
Best luck to you

Zeke 400 like all HOT items had his moment and died. I got the word late an missed the service.