Schefflera 'Amate'

Stan

17/04/14
I picked one up at HD..nice size,low price. But almost nothing on growing outdoors on the net about it. How hardy? Size? Shape? Does it flower? One site said no..but that could be houseplant talk. It would be nice to know if it does flower in as spectacular fashion as S.actinophylla does. Anybody know of it?

Sorry Stan, I know absolutely nothing about it. So you will have to be are on the reporter. Why don't you give us a pic or two. I'm curious to know if it looks much different.

This might be too closeup...but that color and short petioles can be seen. Its already branching too. With a woody trunk. Those are traits you don't usually see on a 4' S.actinophylla out of a greenhouse. It might be much less invasive also then the big brother. If it doesn't flower,and the roots have no need to roam to support some 40' monster...

It looks alot like a Schefflera actinophylla. The 'Amate' could be a cultivar of the species. From New Guinea and Java, a zone 10 plant. Can be maintained as a house plant or container plant that has to be brought in when temps drop below 35F. They are very hardy in Florida, take our cold fronts quite well if planted in the ground. They do flower but a mature plant is rather large before this occurs. Unfortunately they produce copious amounts of seed here and have become a bit invasive. Our birds love the seed and have done an exceptional job at dispersing them.

Thanks Moose..the outdoor facts on growing are hard to find. I think you just made an internet first! Are they of the ultimate size of a plain S. actinophylla?, at least in height?. From the few photos,its looks much more columnar..not a wide spread. But internet photos are very few.

Stan - I was unable to locate info on the "Amate cultivar". Its growth habits and temperature requirements are unknown to me. I suspect that Zone 9 would be a push. If it gets as large as Schefflera actinophylla, its a robust sized tree, 25+ ft. Sometimes growers add a "sexy name" to plants for marketing purposes.

Like fishing lures, they are designed to catch the fisherman more than the fish. :rolleyes:

I had a Schefflera pueckleri for decades..grew a huge trunk,dark green leaflets..not quite as many as S. actinophylla though. And it never was as tall..I say topping at 25'. Then,it died after 32 years for no known reason. And this Amate reminds me of that plant...especially the free branching at a young size.
S.pueckeli's main and only drawback was that the flowers were dull,small. Not showy at all. That plant though survived 1992's 24f week of very cold arctic air. It came back from about 1" of bark to a tree once again a few years later.
I'm hoping Amate is something like that..with "Octopus" like flowers. Best case.

20140802_174354.jpg

Trying to figure out how to post picture with caption....guess I got it wrong....so I will make 2 posts.

This "amate" is getting brown tipping inside...too much....or not enough....water?

Hard to say. It looks very healthy. Other then the newest flush. I see a Calathea under it also has that problem. It could be dry air-air con?. OR,and I had this happen before..too much mineral salts in the water. I was using Aquarium water to see how the the plants would do..and at first they thrived..then the burn kicked in.
As far as overwatering? That would be very hard to do in summer.

After acclimating to full sun,It was a surprise to see new leaves have a varnished look. I didn't expect that.
IMG_0991.jpg

Trying to figure out how to post picture with caption....guess I got it wrong....so I will make 2 posts.

This "amate" is getting brown tipping inside...too much....or not enough....water?
Yep - agree with Stan - most likely suspects are humidity and/or build up of salts in the soil from not allowing water to drain through and flush them out. This results from a plant being watered in a tray for long periods of time. The best thing to do for indoor plants is to 'spell' them outdoors for intermittent periods. It is a rare plant, in a rare location, that can stay indoors without an occasional break.

You know how you get a plant that's new to you? Its something you've never seen before?...then after having it awhile you learn to spot them no matter where or how far? (sort of like when you buy a car--then you see them everywhere) I spotted this plant growing in front of a home. The denseness and the gloss gave it away as not another type of Schefflera.
That means it took December 2013's cold and never flinched. So for bay areans into the exotic plant look..this plant is worth a go in the landscape.