saving croton pollen

pocomo

26/03/10
I know someone not to long ago asked about saving croton pollen. ( I couldn't find the thread so I'm starting a new one). Well never having had any luck with it I didn't respond. Until now that is. Last week I had a plant I wanted to use as a pollinator which was full of pollen and nothing to cross it to. I found a tiger eye about to open as a female so I picked a handful of the male flowers put them on a piece of folded printer paper, there was pollen falling out everywhere, stuck that in a plastic bag and immediately put it in the freezer. Today the tiger eye was open so I removed the bag from the freezer, opened it and to my surprise there was still pollen grains in the folds of the paper. The flowers didn't release any more pollen but I was able to pollinate the tiger eye. Don't know if the pollen was any good or not and only time will tell. I'll let you know.

Knowing you Chris, I wouldn't be surprise if you set some seed soon. I wish I had more time to spend in the garden and do some hand pollination. Keep us informed as time goes on.

I've heard of using dessicants for storing pollen in the fridge, as well as freezing pollen, but really don't have much experience with it.

The one time I tried saving croton pollen in the fridge I swabbed the pollen onto some Qtips and put them in an envelope without dessicants but it didn't work as I had no seed set when I used the pollen a few weeks later.

Apparently there are a lot of people out there with the same idea though...

Googled pollen storage...
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei....2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=899

Googled saving pollen...
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...94a272661dedc15&ix=sea&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=899

In saving palm pollen for hybridizing purposes, all guidance I've been given is to avoid plastic baggies. Paper bags are preferred and keep pollen alive while ensuring that all the male flowers open and release their pollen. Keep the male flowers in high heat and permit them to fully open. Thereafter, collected pollen should be stored in freezer in a freezer-rated tupperware container. I have no experience with croton pollen - but have to think the same rules probably apply. Hope that helps someone.

Thanks,

Rich

Croton pollen is really strange. It melts in your hand, not in your mouth. In my experience you almost have to pick the male flowers and briskly walk to the plant you want to pollinate before the pollen disappears. Maybe not that extreme but the pollen seems to absorb moisture in the air and then vanish. If someone else has some pollen by the time you drive back to the house it may all be gone. It has to be there but... When I put the pollen in the freezer on paper I thought it would act as a desiccant. The flowers themselves were quite mushy after they warmed up but the free pollen on the paper remained long enough for me to pollinate. I think putting it the plastic bag kept all other moisture out. I'm still not sure but it looks like I may have a good pollination. Got my fingers crossed.