Pink Stewarti

JoseLopez

23/12/11
This is the pink Stewarti that i got from Moose at the auction in Flamingo Garden. What i want to show is the sport that is growing, It's more of a soft creme color. 018.jpg

Jose - That looks like one of those not-so-good all yellow sports that many crotons produce. All yellow equals no chlorophyll equals an early death for the leaves. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Jose - I got this Stewartii from the backyard of an old abondoned home in Coral Gables. The Momma plant was a very, very old Stewartii. I noticed one (large) branch having alot of "blotching" and lots of pink pastel colors to it. The croton was growing in a very shady area with high canopy. I made three air layers and was lucky to see they were still there 2 months later. Keep your plant nice and shaded. I believe that this sport adapted to heavy shade over time and thrives in it.

The other air layer was auctioned at Ricky's last garden tour. I have the third. My plant also sports the creamy colors and since it is kept in heavy shade, they remain on the plant - feeding off the Momma for its carbohydrates. Enjoy your plant, the house was torn down and the plant was bulldozed.

Stewartii 1.jpg
Stewartii 2.jpg
Stewartii 2.jpg
Stewartii 1.jpg
Stewartii 2.jpg
Here is the Moose Land version. From the same mother plant as Jose's. It is a fickle plant, often throwing back to yellow leaves like Jose's. Chris taught me to break off Yellow/Albino tips, the new emergent growth sometimes produces green leaves. So far so good but this may never develop into a robust grower.

Definitely not your typical Stewartii. I think Carol Graff got the other one I had.

Last edited:
image.jpg
We went home (Vero Beach) for a multi. Class high school reunion and went by the old home place. This is Stewartii probably 60 years old.