Pink Diamond

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Pink Diamond has large leaves measuring 21" x 5" attached to 7" leaf stems. Pink Diamond is a moderate grower in morning sun.
Img_6335.jpg
Img_6337.jpg

Pix, I agree with Dean in the fact most Ti do just fine in the sun. I believe the misconception comes from the fact that the most common Red Sister prefers shade. Here are the names of a few that you will run into in most garden centers around these parts that do great in the sun. Xerox, Aunti Lou, Jackie, Maria, Sensation. I have Miss Andrea in full sun and she also looks great and takes on a bright yellow in the leaves as opposed to less sun and the yellow becomes a cream color.

I thought "red sister" is the deep red-burgundy sold at HD? And the pink one something else. I have what you call red sister and yes- it will burn in summer full sun. The one I thought was red sister is much more sun tolerant and a strong grower. The plain green Ti's here are much more faster growing then the colorful types.

It should noted that "full sun" is a very misunderstood variable. Full sun is much different in SoCal, NoCal, coastal Cal, inland Cal, Hawaii leeward side, Hawaii windward side, Hawaii elevation, SoFlo, NoFlo, and so on.

In addition, in SoCal a Ti can do well all year long in full sun (even for multiple years), only to get burned during that one 3 day hot spell. So then the gardener declares, "these won't take full sun."

Last year Dean,my red with pink (not sure of the name) did fine all summer in lots of sun. Then this spring,we had a heatwave and it badly scalded the same plant in the same place. Turned the middle of the leafs white. Now,its in less sun and looking close to normal.

Last year Dean,my red with pink (not sure of the name) did fine all summer in lots of sun. Then this spring,we had a heatwave and it badly scalded the same plant in the same place. Turned the middle of the leafs white. Now,its in less sun and looking close to normal.
Mother Nature just doesn't play nice all the time - even in the best of climates.

I've had long periods of constant afternoon clouds - 4-8 weeks constant. Then one day the clouds decide not to form, the sun is intense in the afternoon, and all the new leaves that came out during the cloudiness think they have just been taken out of a shade house into full sun. Needless to say, they are not happy when this happens.

Welcome to South Florida, we go from record drought-to record heat-to scattered flooding-totally normal.
image.jpeg

I was questioning the 'Pink Diamond' in my above posts as the real deal. Well I know 100% that it is not. I got the real deal now and it is gorgeous.
pizap.com14503060025821.jpg
Thank you Mark and Deirdre for offering such great and hard to find Cordylines and Crotons.