Phoenicophorium borsigianum

kwtimo

22/05/10
Its small, I know. But its my first one, and I was so happy to see a nicely colored emergent leaf. With any luck, in a few years, it will really be of some size. CAM00300.jpgCAM00301.jpgCAM00302.jpgCAM00304.jpg:D

Very nice Tim - one of my favorite palms. Was successful growing one here in Coral Gables until the 2010 winter. Zone 10b is just too cold for a palm that hails from an island 4 degrees from the equator. You are fortunate to have the proper winter temperature range for it to thrive.

That's a choice one Tim - I have quite a few and can tell you that not all of them have nicely colored new leafs. So that's why yours is cool. One other thing I can tell you is that if you see any orange on the older fronds, it is lacking potassium.

At least here in Hawaii they are always potassium deficient unless some K-Mag or other supplement is used. For some reason, these palms get real orange around the edges when craving potassium, and then the typical "dotting" kicks in - both a very bright orange color.