Palms in Hawaii

Kasgardens

07/02/12
Ca.
I am looking into getting some land on the big island of Hawaii in puna. What is the best elevation to grow palm trees in puna from ? Feet to ? Feet above sea level ?:confused:

It seems like everyone I know growing palms in Puna is at around 800 ft. elevation. I have an acre in Leilani Estates that is about 780 - 800 ft. elevation. Then when I drive to Floribunda or Bill Austin's, even though it feels like I've gone uphill, they are also around 800 ft. It's kind of an illusion because you drive gently downhill from Leilani Estates, then uphill into Hawaiian Acres. The same is true driving toward Volcano, where another friend is growing palms outside Kurtisstown. It seems I've driven way uphill, but his land is at around 800 ft. elevation. If you are down low, closer to sea level, as in Kapoho where the Pauleen Sullivan garden is located, you will get much less rainfall, and we all know palms love lots of rain.

I made my choice based on a number of preferences: general neighborhood quality and feel, quality of roads (I prefer paved), lot size, rainfall, successful palm growth, access to services, and price.

Kim pretty much nailed it. Leilani Estates is in the sweet spot for palm growing. You will find a lot of properties in Puna that will also be in that 800-1000 ft. sweet spot, but Leilani has the nicest and best maintained neighborhood. Some of the others can be a little "rough around the edges" in places.

I got 3 acre at 760ft on road 10 in Hawaiian acres. I will be going to the big island in 2013 to get some dozer work done and plant some palm trees. I can't wait to plant some cool palms. I always wanted to grow a coconut palm. Now I need to get a list of palms I should buy and plant there. I like feather leaf types and green trunks and colorful crown shafts and any blue leaf palms. So are there any palms you guys would recommend?

Get ready to be confused - there are literally thousands of palms to choose from. Your best bet is to just visit gardens and decide on what you like the most. It's a palm lover's candy store here. You are welcome to drop by here anytime you are on the Kona side.

Congratulations, you are now the kid in the (palm) candy store. Are there any palms I would recommend? Um, I started planting in March 2010. Two years later I am growing 58 different species, and have planted more than 165 palms, with about 35 waiting in pots. And I still have a wish list. (See floribundapalms.com) My backhoe guy has done work at my place five times, and I've had a similar number of cindersoil and red cinder deliveries. Then there was the dead tree removal crew. All my friends think I am insane, but are polite enough not to say so to my face. Oh, and I have removed several coconut palms from around my house and one by the front gate. They are everywhere, and look healthiest down by the ocean.

If you'd like to see a young garden, feel free to contact me about a tour.

I will be on the big Island in a month from now:) for two weeks is there any good places to get cycad seedlings. My plan is to start my palm garden while I'm there plant a bunch of Palm seedlings get some dozer work done. Does anyone know any good person that does dozer work:confused:. I will be in Hawaiian acres. I would love to see any palm Gardens while I'm down there to get a idea of how things grow what I should maybe plant.