Newbie with a Story

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
The latest acquisition that was delivered to the Moose Land on Super Bowl Sunday. No matter how hard I try to force myself to stop receiving more crotons, they continue to accumulate.

This croton was donated to the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society for the raffle table a couple of years back. Bob & Peck Pope were the donors. Bob could not recall where this croton came from. Being the Brother-In-Law of Tan Wi Kiat, it is possible this croton was left behind when all the crotons amassed for the Gardens on the Bay project had been staged at Bob's place.

The croton was very striking when donated and really caught my eye. Being a raffle, all I could do was buy tickets - it could not be purchased or bid on it. Wish it was an auction because Lamar was not at this meeting, so I would have had a good chance. I stuffed all my 20 tickets into the hopper. The odds were in my favor I would win the plant, of course the guy (Ralph) who won it had put in a single ticket.

Ralph took the plant home and put it in the back yard until he decided where to plant it. Being a crazed plant person, he has way more plants then he has time. The croton sat, rooted into the ground and became stretched in the shade. Ralph and I talked about this croton often. He decided it would be best for it to get planted in the Moose Land and I could make an air layered plant for him when he was ready for it. Time passed and the transfer to the Moose Land did not happen. Saturday Ralph called and said he was in the process of moving. The croton was well rooted so he told me he was gonna grab it by its stem and yoke it out.

This is what I got. 3 gallon container half full of soil, most of the organic matter has melted. Its sitting in water to maintain hydration. Most of its roots are still in Ralph's garden.

Newbie 6.JPG

Newbie 10.JPG
Potted it up this morning. The couple of days of soaking looks like it helped, the newer leaves and upper stem seem more rigid. Stacked up, the plant is 4 ft. not counting the container. It looks to be supporting both orange and pink colors on the semi-oak leaves. Would love to know if it had a name. Tagged it Unkown Bob Pope. Any thought or comments ?

Newbie 11.JPG
Newbie 8.JPG
Newbie 9.JPG
View attachment 30683

Last edited:
Looks a little like Phillip Geduldig.

Toby - the leaf shape it certainly right. The Phillip Geduldig I have planted was from Ricky (fawnridge) many moons ago. It was planted on the east side of the garden but has been deprived of sun light. The neighbors two story home does not allow any morning sun, plus the palms are shading it as well. When first planted the palms were much smaller and it did get afternoon sun. Honestly it never has been spectacular in color.

Phillip Geduldig 1.JPG
Phillip Geduldig 2.JPG
Phillip Geduldig 3.JPG

I've seen a few Phillip Geduldig that look way better then mine. Can't rule out that the "Unknown Bob Pope" is an exceptionally colored form. Calling out those who have Phillip Geduldig to post photos for comparison - please.