Moving On...

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
After my successful experiment with the S.rom. heads, I am now going to try Serenoa repens trunk rootings. After much thought, I cut the 8' trunks growing out over the lawn off. I saved a few logs that show some roots. I will place these in the ground where the palm is to grow in the future. I would think this should be easy.:) PIC#1 after the trim PICS #2&3 the experimental logs.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 234
Here are the 3 logs planted in ground.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 250
Yes, that should be interesting. I did something similar with Acoelorraphe wrightii, but I got a few roots with the starters, and it worked fine - but slow.

If I had to bet, I don't think I would know where to put my money. I guess that means I would give it a 50/50 chance.

Maybe this wasn't the best time of year to try it, but if it works there are probably several other species that could offer the same propagation method.

Scott,

Keep us posted. I have interested in the silver form of these as a cold hardy understory - but harvesting seed and waiting for any of size seems like it would take an eternity. This seems like a much quicker approach.

Rich

Rich, The S.repens was planted from a 1 gal in 1999. This one was cut back a few years ago also. I have another that was purchased at the same time growing in a really sandy area that has grown 1/4 the rate of this one. I have never planted the seed as I also fear it would take eternity.

Rich, The S.repens was planted from a 1 gal in 1999. This one was cut back a few years ago also. I have another that was purchased at the same time growing in a really sandy area that has grown 1/4 the rate of this one. I have never planted the seed as I also fear it would take eternity.

Scott,

I broke down and bought a 3 gal silver variety at Boktoberfest today. Not sure if you've ever had the chance to journey over to Bok Tower Gardens - but it is quite a nice experience with nature. Here is link to the thread I posted on Palmtalk:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25698

Enjoy,

Rich

Rich, Thanks for the link to those pictures. Bok Tower Gardens are beautiful, and a few years have passed from my visit there. Good luck with your new S.repens. Do not make my mistake, give it room to sprawl.

Update 7 months have now passed...:)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 200
It's hard to tell from the pics Scott, but would you declare your experiment a success?

Dean, It is hard for me to tell and I see it in the flesh. All I can say is it has not died, but on the other hand it has not grown. I think it is placing its energy to root growth. That is also what I observed with the rooting of the S.rom heads.

Looks to be promising. Gentle loving care would kill these palms, abuse them and they survive. Many of story about how the have been dug up with incredible care and they cark. Bulldoze them into a pile and they thrive. Go figure?

Scott, you could always plant crotons there if they subcome. :rolleyes:

Wow!!!!!-this is truly amazing to me-I would have never thought that this could be successful! I will be looking for posts on the successful experiment with the S.rom. heads!