I need palm recommendations for new croton area.

Every time I look at this thread I can't help but think of Jerry. If only he had this much more space to work with in his garden. I know he would have it completely packed full of croton bling in no time. :D

Hi Ron,

Rob Branch has a sale at his place a few times a year and Faith is always there helping out. I may see her at the CFPACS where her garden is featured, I think (I haven't really gotten any info on the particulars), and I'm looking forward to seeing her place then.
Ana, You may know by now the CFPACS tour @ Faiths is 9/14/13. http://www.cfpacs.org?palmateer (Sept Newsletter pg.3 for all info)​

I've gotten a few things since I last posted but I'm still considering palms for other areas of my garden. Amongst those are the ptychosperma that Phil mentioned and the Dypsis Onilahensis and Saintlucei that Savannah mentioned and maybe the Ravenea Hildebrandtii. What do you all think of the following companion palms for crotons for my area. Are they realistic?

Clinostigma savoryanum
Dictyosperma album var. conjugatum
Hyophorbe varschaffeltii
Calyptrocalyx forbesii or other in species
Carpoxylon macrospermum

Ana,

I am out of my area of expertise when it comes to your climate. It is much different than my experience. But having said that, I think your selections mentioned above all have a chance, especially when gaining some size, except for the Calyptrocalyx. I think those are touchy when it comes to even a night of near freezing. Before trying any of those, if it was me I would want to see a succesfully grown one first.

But, they are beautiful palms and one of my favorite genera. And most can be grown in pots for a long time. So if offered a nice one at a nice price - what do you have to lose? :digger1