Holiday Croton Social

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
I envision a meeting sometime after Thanksgiving (November is a busy month) with a nice lunch, extensive croton auction and sale and a tour of a couple of gardens. Who else thinks this is a good idea? Let's get the ball rolling.

Ray

Ray,

I like the idea. But, I have a few questions for our members. I think December can work, if maybe early in the month. The second weekend would work for me, I think. A couple of gardens, meaning botanical gardens, or private gardens/yards ? A nice lunch...sponsored by the society? An auction of plants could certainly cover those cost I'm sure. What did you mean by a sale? And where we thinking? East or west coast? I could make my garden available for November, but were scheduled for Randy in Boca Raton, followed by Ricky's yard in October. ( If Ricky still feels in the mood)

I'd like to hear what others think.

Jeff

Jeff - Our plans haven't changed, as a matter of fact, I was out in the garden with the broom and dustpan this morning. Nothing like a garden to take your mind away from your troubles.

Between Jeff's sale & a visit with TikiRick, then Randy's/Ricky's tour next month, not sure I'm up to making another trek to the other coast again so soon. If it's within an hour or two from here, I'd be more inclined to join in the reindeer games.
Are there any worthwhile botanical gardens where we could meet in the middle? Ray, what did you have in mind?

We could always include the Edison Estate (Ft. Myers) as a visit since I've heard they are re-introducing crotons there. There is also the Naples Botanical Gardens. Just a thought since that area is equidistant from the Tampa and Miami areas.

I've only been to the Edison Estate once in the early nineties for a wedding and at the time, I wasn't into plants. I'd love a return visit. Considering their croton history, it would be awesome to visit and get them on-board for our cause.
Never been to the Naples botanical garden either. If either sounds plausible to the group, count me in.

What I'm thinking is, this weekend during my sale, there will be several croton members coming and we should talk it over. Besides myself and Andrea, Rob...Borgy230, Judy and Jim Glock, Ron...Moose Knuckle, Ray...Crazy for Crotons, Phil, Keith, Bren... Junglegalfla, Randy...Palm Island, Marie (?), probably Bob Pope and maybe others.

I think this would be an excellent time to see what everyone is thinking and if there's enough interest.

We are watching the storm out there at the moment. Jeff can't travel out of country if there is a chance he could not get back into Costa Rica on time. I'm also not crazy driving across state into crap weather. Keep an eye on it, we should know more within a day or two. The timing of it sucks. :mad::(
http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/

In my opinion, the remark about Jerry is inappropriate for this forum and only served to paint Moose as a far-left loon.

It is more fun to talk crotons, on this forum!

When I wrote that there were a lot more unknowns. Glad it's nothing but a rain maker (for east coast anyway) I don't expect any delays with his flight (Ft. Lauderdale) but he said he would let me know for sure tonight. Either way, Julie and I are still driving over tomorrow afternoon.

Bren, and others,

It's almost 3:00 wednesday afternoon and we have received a steady drizzle all day long here. No down pours, no lightning and thunder,etc. I think the weatherman overplayed this one.

The good news is, it's suppose to start letting up this evening into tomorrow am, and clear out during sometime tomorrow. And get this, the rain chance as of now......10% for friday, 30% saturday and 30% for sunday. The sale is ON!!!!!!!!

Jeff

How come Jerry never posts here? He spends way too much time on that ultra-right neo-nazi open forum. :rolleyes:

Flamingo Gardens sounds like a good Holiday Croton Social venue Ray, I have not been there in years as myself! :)

That damn Jerry guy doesn't post here much because he doesn't know squat about crotons. Rumor is, though, that he reads this forum frequently.

Ron, if you have not been to Flamingo as yourself, who did you go as?

The $400 croton tragically croaked during the winter weather.

The Deerfield Beach Arboretum would be happy to host a sale/party. We don't have a large croton collection yet but a croton society event could help with that. We are a bit of a trek for the west coast crowd.

Jerry - glad to see my egging you on worked. Good to see you posting again. :cool:

Sorry to hear about the demise of that croton cultivar. :(

I was having a Flamingo Gardens Bi-polar event, I'm better now. :rolleyes:

Judy and I would like to extend an invitation for a December Croton meeting/holiday party at our house in Fort Myers. We are half way in between Tampa and the folks on the East Coast. This would shorten the drive for all involved. Please let Judy and I know your thoughts. We would love to have all Croton Nuts come to our place in Fort Myers. We could have everyone bring a dish to eat and we could have a great holiday party and Croton auction.:)

Jim and Judy,

What a great offer! I know you have some nice crotons to look at, and your palm collection is one of the best in Ft Myers.

December is a very nice month for touring, the weather should still be mild. Any dates yet? And don't forget, it's dark by 6:00pm. We'll be there by 6:00am for an early start.:)

Anyone else? I think your absolutely right though, the drive to Ft Myers is only a couple of hours from My house here in western Broward. Maybe some of the folks from Miami can make too.

Keep us informed...

Judy and I have picked December 11th for the meeting. We think that we'll have this run from say 10:30 to 3:00. With a 3pm ending time anyone with a holiday party should be able to make it back to Tampa or the East Coast in plenty of time. Also we should have plenty of daylight. Our collection in Fort Myers does not rival the one in the Keys, but we have 2 1/2 acres with many crotons and palms. We look forward to seeing all of our croton friends from both the West and East Coast. Bring a croton or two for an auction.

While I'd like to bring crotons for auction, being a newbie, I just don't have any. Would it be beneficial to bring other tropicals like broms etc to auction off or just my cash?

Bren, bring whatever you've got for auction. Plant people are plant junkies and anything can draw a few bucks. I should have my second set of air layers (started in mid September) ready by then. With our lessened heat, they'll take 2 months instead of one to really take root.

Judy and I have picked December 11th for the meeting. We think that we'll have this run from say 10:30 to 3:00. With a 3pm ending time anyone with a holiday party should be able to make it back to Tampa or the East Coast in plenty of time. Also we should have plenty of daylight. Our collection in Fort Myers does not rival the one in the Keys, but we have 2 1/2 acres with many crotons and palms. We look forward to seeing all of our croton friends from both the West and East Coast. Bring a croton or two for an auction.

Jim & Judy - Should we RSVP so you know how many to pepare for? Any idea how many are coming? Being half way between Tampa/St. Pete and us East Coasters, there should be a very big turn out. :eek:

Approx. four weeks out, so I ask you .....the Glocks, how's the garden coming?:) I know you've been busy pulling some weeds and spreading lots of mulch, the garden must be ripe for touring. With all the rains we got over here today, the crotons seem to have that extra burst of color from all the nitrogen. I hope you got some too.

Any updates? Anything new in the ground like a Tapestry, or maybe an Exotica?

I heard Moose Knuckle will be camping outside your front gate the night before. Is this allowed?:eek:

I met Judy at a club in Tampa that Ray recomended. I can't remember very well, but the name was Mon's somthing. Perhaps this could be the reason that Judy picked up the name "Croton W****"....who knows. Stranger things have happened. We can't wait to see you all.

I can tell you all that my back is not as young as it used to be!

Hmmm, its been awhile since then. Great weather then BOOM - the next week we had the Winter of Doom. Can't ever remember so many days of 40F temps or below. This was one of the last great Society functions.

I heard a rumor that the Glocks may be considering to host another garden tour. Anyone else hear the same? :rolleyes: