Hello! i'm new!

irene_kingsley

07/04/10
Hello everyone, i am Irene, and i'm new to ICS.

I'm from Singapore, which is a tropical country. I have alot of croton collection, mostly imported from florida.

My favourite croton cv is 'Mrs Iceton' and 'Magnificent'. Both having very contrast colours.

However, recently, there's a whiteflies outbreak attacking most of my crotons. =( Any sugguestion??

Is it true that most yellow and green leaves cultivars are sun-loving plants(except Davis hybrid) and dark red to red leaves are mostly semi-shade loving plants??

RegArds,
Irene

Welcome Irene! Mrs. Iceton and Magnificent are two wonderful crotons!
We have croton scale here in Florida and red spider mites. Both can be disasterous to crotons but we have found that Bayer makes a product called 3:1 spray that tackles both at once! If you can find it, it is in a blue hose end sprayer and retails for about $16 US.
It does work!

Welcome!!!

Hi Irene,

Welcome and have fun. We love photos here. So, learn how to post photos. We would all like to see how crotons and other tropical plants look in super tropical Singapore.

Welcome Irene. Another Crotonhead is a fabulous thing!!!:cool:

Kindest regards,

Ron

Attachments

• happy_moose.jpg
    happy_moose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 91
hahaha! thank you thank you.

let me try how to attach photos here.. wooo.. i got nasty spider mites here too. Especially dry season. We got around 7mm of rainfall for the month of February'10! It is the driest feb in many many years. Spidermites loves to attack juicy succulent croton.. So i always physically remove the leaves and then spray with abamectin. I sprayed for 3-5 cycles as the chemical only kills on adult spidermites.

WOO! i finally attached 4 successful photos.

Purity, Rudy Bachman, Sunny Star and Freckles(Pinnochio) =) Enjoy! :cool:

Will upload more next time:)

Attachments

• Purity.jpg
    Purity.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Rudy Bachman.jpg
    Rudy Bachman.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Sunny Star.jpg
    Sunny Star.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Pinnochio.jpg
    Pinnochio.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 125
Irene,

Welcome to the Croton site here. We certainly love having new members join in and especially from other countries.

Your plants are very nice! The last one is Pinnochio, a smaller leaf croton with similar markings but is different from Freckles.

Hope to see more pictures of your garden. What other plants do you enjoy and collect?

Jeff

oh no... so they are different despite having the same leave shape and colouration? okay! thanks for that useful info. I do succulents plants and cycads. Stil new to them though. I just learn croton for about 9 mths.. still learning. =)

oh no... so they are different despite having the same leave shape and colouration? okay! thanks for that useful info. I do succulents plants and cycads. Stil new to them though. I just learn croton for about 9 mths.. still learning. =)

Irene - I just want to warn you that Crotons are habit forming. :rolleyes:

Many of our friends in Florida are going through withdrawls right now in the aftermath of the coldest winter in 40 years. Spring is now here and we have enough enablers out there to rekindle their addictions. :cool:

Irene - keep posting more photos if you are able. Many observers come here but do not participate. They just like to watch. :p

Attachments

• happy_moose.jpg
    happy_moose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 100
Hello Irene, I hope all is well, haven't seen you post in awhile.

Jeff, I asked Kiat about Irene when he was here. She decided to go back to school so she's no longer at Gardens by the Bay. I think he's looking for a new croton curator.