First PRA of 2014

Oh look, its Randy's office. He gets to go to work every day with his tropical paradise just outside.

Attachments

• R #24 The office.JPG
    R #24 The office.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 226
A fabulous looking Rhapis excelsa guards the entrance to the house. For balance, another of equal beauty flanks the other side of the French doors.

Attachments

• R #26 Rhap Ex.JPG
    R #26 Rhap Ex.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 204
While Randy is busy getting the French roast brewing, I'm busy admiring this incredible looking Variegated Rhapis Excelsa in the living room. Fresh bagels, fresh squeezed orange juice and gourmet coffee to go with the palms - it don't get much better.

Attachments

• R #28 Rhap Ex Var.JPG
    R #28 Rhap Ex Var.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 201
Here is the placid view through the living room glass sliding doors.

Attachments

• R #29 Trop View back.JPG
    R #29 Trop View back.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 214
  • R #30 Trop View back.JPG
    R #30 Trop View back.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 221
While Randy is toasting my ET bagel to perfection, I find another Rhapis excelsa variegata by the breakfast nook.

Attachments

• R #31 Rhap Ex Var west.JPG
    R #31 Rhap Ex Var west.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 190
After the splendid noshing was completed, we head towards the east side of the property. A total of 140 photos were culled from the multitude taken in this fabulous garden. Many were of crotons but those will be posted in a thread on the croton forum. Having only slept 4 hours, trying to ID both palms and crotons - my brain went into overload. My brain's "SD card" was at capacity, Randy told me what they were, just ... Many palms from here on may not have an ID, hopefully Randy will provide one, or correct me on my mistakes. In the past I've done garden tours keeping notes. You end up doing more writing than enjoying the plants. From here on - I just photo'd what caught my eye.

The first of the unknowns.

Attachments

• R #32  E wall Unk.JPG
    R #32 E wall Unk.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 199
This may be the nicest Dypsis prestoniana in South Florida. Its the best I've personally seen. Probably safe to say that the heeled Dypsis need to be planted high in mounds to have a chance down here, just like Randy's.

Attachments

• R #43 Dyp Pres.JPG
    R #43 Dyp Pres.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 237
  • R #44 Dyp Pres.JPG
    R #44 Dyp Pres.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 223
Dypsis bejofo that was attacked by a banana moth. Randy cut the invested leaves off, its still pushing, just waiting for the next new leaf - it could use one. :)

Attachments

• R #52 Dyp Bejo.JPG
    R #52 Dyp Bejo.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 204
I had just ID'd a croton that Randy has been growing for a few years. To a croton collector to get a certain ID is a big deal. Mike and Randy were examining every leaf. Just a few feet away I spied this petite Licuala, tucked away and looking happy. It looks like it has mottled colored leaves. The guys were busy so I snapped its photo and moved on, no ID attained.

Attachments

• R #62 Licuala.JPG
    R #62 Licuala.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 194
Randy had another Burrentiokentia hapala in the back garden. This one is flowering. :cool:

Attachments

• R #72 Bur Hap.JPG
    R #72 Bur Hap.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 208
  • R #73 Bur Hap.JPG
    R #73 Bur Hap.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 195
  • R #74 Bur Hap.JPG
    R #74 Bur Hap.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 196
This area was a bit crowded for photos to work. To the naked eye, the area was spectacular. Like being in a rain forest. I simply could not get an overall aspect of this palm that photo'd well. Heck - this cv. species is cultivated for the interesting crown shaft anyway - Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. 'Watermelon'.

Attachments

• R #75 Chab Water.JPG
    R #75 Chab Water.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 189
  • R #76 Chab Water.jpg
    R #76 Chab Water.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 196
Could this be the sought after Hydriastele beguinii cv. 'Obi' ? This palm was simply amazing, I could not frame a shot of it that could do it any justice. It alone was worth the travel to Boca Raton. Any one coming to the Biennel with a couple of extra days, I would PM Randy. ;)

Attachments

• R #79 Hyd Beg Obi.JPG
    R #79 Hyd Beg Obi.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 193
  • R #80 Hyd Beg Obi.JPG
    R #80 Hyd Beg Obi.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 199
I can't remember what we were looking at here. It may be the palm in the background against the wall? Is that a Dypsis with the glacous stem? :confused:

Attachments

• R #95 Dyp unk.JPG
    R #95 Dyp unk.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 207
Pritchardia pacifica with a lovely orange flowering vine. Don't recall the name of the vine. Randy does not remember where he got it. Saw it, liked it, planted it - years ago. A mutual friend, who specializes in rare plants, saw this vine and was extremely impressed. Maybe someone can chime in with its ID?

The Pritchardia is amazing to me. This is a bit of a zone push with Randy being so close to the Everglades. He has to deal with some much lower temps during cold fronts than the Boca Raton areas closer to the coast. This palm has been beaten up several times, sometimes with every leaf burns. Since it has gained some nice size, it appears that it has become a little more cold hardy.

We were all talking how years ago that this palm was deemed to be very susceptible to Lethal Yellowing. It prevented many from taking a chance of using this genus when planning their gardens. Something I personally lament since we don't find many specimens in South Florida still. :(

Attachments

• R #97 flwr vine Prt Pac.JPG
    R #97 flwr vine Prt Pac.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 212
  • R #101 Prt Pac.JPG
    R #101 Prt Pac.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 199
Pritchardia pacifica with a lovely orange flowering vine. Don't recall the name of the vine. Randy does not remember where he got it. Saw it, liked it, planted it - years ago. A mutual friend, who specializes in rare plants, saw this vine and was extremely impressed. Maybe someone can chime in with its ID?

The Pritchardia is amazing to me. This is a bit of a zone push with Randy being so close to the Everglades. He has to deal with some much lower temps during cold fronts than the Boca Raton areas closer to the coast. This palm has been beaten up several times, sometimes with every leaf burns. Since it has gained some nice size, it appears that it has become a little more cold hardy.

We were all talking how years ago that this palm was deemed to be very susceptible to Lethal Yellowing. It prevented many from taking a chance of using this genus when planning their gardens. Something I personally lament since we don't find many specimens in South Florida still. :(
Ron, it certainly appears to me to be a Gardenia tubifera "kula". Not a vine at all. They are an exceptionally nice plant with fragrant flowers that change color from golden orange to white over the course of a few days. The scent on these is quite exceptional as well. I recently purchased a few of these from Marie and planted two at the Audubon House. Good eye Randy!

I had just ID'd a croton that Randy has been growing for a few years. To a croton collector to get a certain ID is a big deal. Mike and Randy were examining every leaf. Just a few feet away I spied this petite Licuala, tucked away and looking happy. It looks like it has mottled colored leaves. The guys were busy so I snapped its photo and moved on, no ID attained.

Licuala dasyantha perhaps?

Could this be the sought after Hydriastele beguinii cv. 'Obi' ? This palm was simply amazing, I could not frame a shot of it that could do it any justice. It alone was worth the travel to Boca Raton. Any one coming to the Biennel with a couple of extra days, I would PM Randy. ;)

Ron, Obi island has an entire complete leaf. This could be a very nice beguinii, hard to tell from the picture. The leaf bears a strong resemblance to Drymophloeus oliviformis too.

My brain is locked down, I should know this one. Any help?[/QUOTE
Looks like one of the smaller Dypsis. Not sure on species, maybe D. bosseri, coriacea, louvellii, pachyramea, etc. Wtihout seeing the plant, it is really hard to ID. It could even be an Iguanara or a Calyptrocalyx. What does Randy say?

Thanks guys for your input. Looks like Randy is growing a true Beccariophoenix alfredii. South Florida gardens don't require such a cold hardy palm so they remain uncommonly found, usually only in discerning collections.

Attachments

• R #98 Bec Alfred.JPG
    R #98 Bec Alfred.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 202
  • R #99 Bec Alfred.JPG
    R #99 Bec Alfred.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 200
Here is an unidentified Coccothrinax. Its gotta fairly robust trunk but the leaves do not look correct for a Coccothrinax spissa. The leaves are very stiff and are extremely large for most Coccothrinax species. Any help with an ID on these sweet looking palm?

Attachments

• R #102 Cocco sp.JPG
    R #102 Cocco sp.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 212
Another one I'm drawing a blank on IDing. I suspect it may be in the Hydriastele genus ? :confused:

Attachments

• R #104 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    R #104 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 214
  • R #105 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    R #105 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 202
  • R #106 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    R #106 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 206
  • R #107 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    R #107 palm Unk Hyd.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 196
Not just one but two of the nicest Chamaedorea tuerckheimii I've ever seen. They appear to be flawless.

Attachments

• R #109 Cham Tuer.JPG
    R #109 Cham Tuer.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 202
  • R #110 Cham Tuer.JPG
    R #110 Cham Tuer.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 196