Davis' Moonglow

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Is anyone growing Davis' yellow and green broadleaf Moonglow? I had a small plant from Keith Hanks but he and I lost ours during January's freeze. Hopefully someone has this and the plant is not lost. I believe there's a photo of it in one of the Croton Society calendars from a few years back where Davis hybrids were featured.

Jeff, we've talked about some plants that are worth having just for the historical aspect. This is one of those. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but someone has to look after it. Maximum and Caution Light are pretty fugly too but still part of Florida's history.

Jeff, we've talked about some plants that are worth having just for the historical aspect. This is one of those. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but someone has to look after it. Maximum and Caution Light are pretty fugly too but still part of Florida's history.

I totally agree. And I would gladly add it to my collection someday if I were to have the chance.

Gotta love the green and yellows. Ray, there are two crotons that have the caution
light name. One is much better looking than the other.

Is anyone growing Davis' yellow and green broadleaf Moonglow? I had a small plant from Keith Hanks but he and I lost ours during January's freeze. Hopefully someone has this and the plant is not lost. I believe there's a photo of it in one of the Croton Society calendars from a few years back where Davis hybrids were featured.

This all the more reason why you guys that live up in the cold tundra, how important it is to get some of these plants shared around, especially down in south Florida and the Keys.

LOL....the cold tundra is "only" about 5-7 degrees colder than you guys when the really cold stuff clears the entire state. If I'm wearing a jacket, so are you guys. I do agree however, that the rare stuff needs to find a second home south of the Lake.

My Rose Charmer finally went away. Another lost cultivar?

LOL....the cold tundra is "only" about 5-7 degrees colder than you guys when the really cold stuff clears the entire state. If I'm wearing a jacket, so are you guys. I do agree however, that the rare stuff needs to find a second home south of the Lake.

My Rose Charmer finally went away. Another lost cultivar?

5 - 7 degrees F = .5 to .7 of the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Average Annual Minimum Temperature. The first of the Florida cold fronts usually do not make it to the south-east coast in the beginning of the season. But the So. Florida area could get another Hurricane Andrew and totally wipe out a few outstanding collections. :eek:

I agree with Bob Alonzo - all cultivars need to get established (distributed) in multiple locations for preservation purposes. "We need to get these plants out there!" :)

Yeah Jeff, the cold may get us, but the hurricanes get you. There should be one plant of everything
on the east coast and west coast. Ill be at your house next week to get all your rare stuff lol
[ keep those dogs on a chain please ]

Yeah Jeff, the cold may get us, but the hurricanes get you. There should be one plant of everything
on the east coast and west coast. Ill be at your house next week to get all your rare stuff lol
[ keep those dogs on a chain please ]
Keith - Kane will let you use his clippers and carry the bags for you if you bring lots of NY Strip. LOL :eek:;):p:eek:

I dont know how, if Ray will bring his camera the next time he comes down, he can post it.

I dont know how, if Ray will bring his camera the next time he comes down, he can post it.

Keith - did you and Judy attend the same photography class ? :confused: LOL :D

Go Ray Go - show us the Bling !!! :cool:

Hint - heavy shade or better at dusk. Wet plants and use a flash. Makes my plants look much better on this forum than they really are ... :rolleyes: