Crotons in Russia

Sergey

20/01/10
Hi, I am Sergey from Russia. I am fond of crotons very much. I got the first crotons about 10 years ago, now I have about 200 varieties in my collection, but still ids for many of them are required. Hope for your help. Soon I’ll post some codiaeums’ photos for identification.

Now some general pictures of my collection.

Crotons' gene bank

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 218
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 235
Hi Sergey,

I can't help you with the IDs, but I can compliment you on doing a great job of growing crotons where I would have never expected them growing. They look so well grown too.

Sergey,

You certainly have an impressive collection. They appear to really like the grow lights overhead. Can I ask you, if your living in Russia, I'm assuming your buying all these over the internet? Or do travel alot and bring plants back? I notice some of the Thai Hybrids, those with the rounder leaves.

This is very interesting and I'm sure I can speak for others, as to how you got started , and are you still adding new ones and what happens to them as they get too big? I look forward in hearing back from you, very interesting! Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you.

I met crotons 10 years ago. They were - Excellent, Norma, Gold Sun, Pinocchio – the varieties imported to Russia from Netherlands. At first I even thought that all of them were different plants. I was very surprised when I got to know that they were only varieties of the same plant – codiaeum variegatum.

I was impressed by color diversity and foliage forms. Since that time – crotons became my obsession. Wherever I travel –I try to get new varieties for my collection.

Firstly I bought all the varieties from Netherlands which were offered in local shops. The next were the crotons which grew in the greenhouse collections of botanic gardens in Russia. Several very interesting varieties were brought by my friends from their travel to Papua New Guinea. And at last came Thai crotons – I like travelling to Thailand as I can always bring new varieties from their nurseries. Moreover in Thailand I found some famous old American crotons.

As my collection increased I had to diminish plants’ size. So a miniature multilevel croton gardens appeared… on the shelves under electric light. And my crotons turned into dwarf plants. Thai crotons are easiest to grow, American varieties and others on the contrary grow very quickly and they growth should always be controlled.

And I’d like to add that I am very happy that this forum appeared and I can join the society of croton lovers. This winter I worried about all people living in Florida who had they collection damaged. Hope that it will never stop real croton lovers from growing these wonderful plants.

Sergey:

Thank-you so much for sharing your introduction into the world of crotons. I am sure many of us Floridians were wondering about that. I found it very interesting and can more appreciate my growing condition here in south Florida. We are gradually recovering from the recent cold weather and are regaining interest in our gardens. Actually, crotons didn't do as badly as some of our other plants. However, I am still upset over losing many crotons that didn't have well established root systems. I am going to have to stop dwelling on the ones that I lost and accentuate the positive!

Thanks again...

Sergy,
Crotons in RUSSIA? Tell me you don't live in Siberia?!
Welcome to the forum of croton madness!

Loved your entry and glad you are now a part of those corresponding about this incredible family of plants.

Show us more! Botanical gardens of Russia? Is there a tropical house there that encompasses tropical plants?

We are intrigued!

Sergey:

Thank-you so much for sharing your introduction into the world of crotons. I am sure many of us Floridians were wondering about that. I found it very interesting and can more appreciate my growing condition here in south Florida. We are gradually recovering from the recent cold weather and are regaining interest in our gardens. Actually, crotons didn't do as badly as some of our other plants. However, I am still upset over losing many crotons that didn't have well established root systems. I am going to have to stop dwelling on the ones that I lost and accentuate the positive!

Thanks again...

Hope that such cold winter won't repeat anymore. Nevertheless now you have an experience and can help your plants to cope with low temperature.

Sergy,
Crotons in RUSSIA? Tell me you don't live in Siberia?!
Welcome to the forum of croton madness!

Loved your entry and glad you are now a part of those corresponding about this incredible family of plants.

Show us more! Botanical gardens of Russia? Is there a tropical house there that encompasses tropical plants?

We are intrigued!

Thank you, Rick. I'll try to find my pictures from the Botanic Gardens. Unfortunately, when I began to collect crotons, I was more interested in cuttings than photos. I promise that next time I will certainly take new pictures to share with you here.

haha! good collection sergy. Impressive! i have over 200 varieties too. Hope to share with you soon. I nede to upload some pics realllll soon~~~~!!

:) really we should share and maybe exchange? Together we'll have 400 varieties :)
I like new varieties and crotons which I get from seeds. When I am in Singapore I promise to bring you something special with “no one can guess IDs” for your collection.

Sergey,

Your passion and collection are both very impressive. I congratulate you on doing such a fantastic job growing these gorgeous plants. Please post some close up photos of individual specimens.

Thank you,

Ray

:) really we should share and maybe exchange? Together we'll have 400 varieties :)
I like new varieties and crotons which I get from seeds. When I am in Singapore I promise to bring you something special with “no one can guess IDs” for your collection.

OMG!!! OKAY~~!! I am so excited already! i thought i live in singapore and can nv get to exchange specimens with members of ICS already. WOAH! a great piece of news!!! whahahaha!=)

Hi everyone! Here are some old pictures of my crotons with unknown or doubtful IDs. Their appearance can differ from the same varieties grown under natural light. Also such difference can be a result of their small size.

#1 – ID? A cutting brought from Moscow Botanical Garden. #2 – the same plant grown under electrical light

#3 - ? I bought this variety in Bangkok together with Mona Lisa, Rudy Buchman, Johanna Coppinger, Red King and one more variety with huge leaves. All of them were sold as novelties :)

#4 – ? It was sold as “Europe”. The variety from Thailand with contrast brown –yellow leaves. Young leaves contain non-chlorophyll parts with lighter coloration. I think that I can be a sport from Bravo, as I have one plant of this variety regressing to Bravo.

Attachments

• C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 204
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 214
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 222
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 216
#5, 6 Thai hybrid – ID is required

#7 - ? This variety is called “Shrimp” in Indonesia

#8 - Shrimp in bloom:)

Attachments

• C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 234
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 216
  • C7.jpg
    C7.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 221
  • C8.jpg
    C8.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 201
#9- ? Looks very much like “Leaf of Gold” in B. Frank Brown’s “A Codiaeum Encyclopedia”

#10 - ? The plant hasn’t come to its natural shape yet, when I bought it the foliage was round

#11 – ID? Maybe “The Queen of Siam”

#12 - ? I think that it may be “Paya Kanchananabury” as in B. Frank Brown’s “A Codiaeum Encyclopedia”

Attachments

• C12.jpg
    C12.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 213
  • C11.jpg
    C11.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 211
  • C10.jpg
    C10.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 215
  • C9.jpg
    C9.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 203
#13 -?

#14-?

#15, 16 -?

Attachments

• C16.jpg
    C16.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 195
  • C15.jpg
    C15.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 216
  • C14.jpg
    C14.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 189
  • C13.jpg
    C13.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 188
#17 -?

#18 -?

#19, 20 -?

Attachments

• C17.jpg
    C17.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 205
  • C18.jpg
    C18.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 200
  • C19.jpg
    C19.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 191
  • C20.jpg
    C20.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 202
#21, 22, 23 -? Nirvana?

#24-?

Attachments

• C24.jpg
    C24.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 220
  • C23.jpg
    C23.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 197
  • C22.jpg
    C22.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 197
  • C21.jpg
    C21.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 203
#25 -?

#26 -?

#27 - ? This variety is “Pagoda” in Indonesia.

#28 – “Visantaravee” in B. Frank Brown’s “A Codiaeum Encyclopedia”

Attachments

• C25.jpg
    C25.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 209
  • C26.jpg
    C26.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 216
  • C27.jpg
    C27.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 221
  • C28.jpg
    C28.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 197
#29 –“The King of Siam”

#30 -? A mature plant has more round shape leaves. In Indonesia it is known as “Coins”

#31 -?

#32 -? It’ll have round leaves when it grows up

Attachments

• C32.jpg
    C32.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 236
  • C31.jpg
    C31.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 203
  • C30.jpg
    C30.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 203
  • C29.jpg
    C29.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 226
#33 -? A mature plant will have round leaves. Always black, never colored

#34, 35 – “Red India”

#36 - ?

Attachments

• C36.jpg
    C36.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 203
  • C35.jpg
    C35.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 200
  • C34.jpg
    C34.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 220
  • C33.jpg
    C33.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 206
Thank you! Some new pictures of Thai hybrids

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 207
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 203
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 201
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 209
#1 - 3 was sold among Thai hybrids. ID's suggestions will be helpful.

Attachments

• c16.jpg
    c16.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 201
  • c15.jpg
    c15.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 196
  • c14.jpg
    c14.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 202
  • c13.jpg
    c13.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 208
Thanks. I see that there are not very many Thai hybrids in Palmpedia. I hope that these pictures can be interesting to croton lovers.
There are classical varieties in my collection but the majority of them need natural light to show their colors and varieties’ features. I’ll upload their pictures later for identification.

#1, 2 Ram’s Horn – the result of high humidity and electric light
#3, 4 – Unknown ID? I’m posting a picture of this variety with better quality once again

Attachments

• Ñ24.jpg
    Ñ24.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Ñ23.jpg
    Ñ23.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Ñ22.jpg
    Ñ22.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Ñ21.jpg
    Ñ21.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 168
#5 – Red India, one of my favorite varieties. It was brought to Thailand from India and hybridized with local variety. The result was the first hybrid with round leaves which became the ancestor of the majority of Thai hybrids.

#6 – it has grown up a little bit with new leaves tended to become more and more round

#7, 8 – unknown ID?

Attachments

• Ñ25.jpg
    Ñ25.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Ñ26.jpg
    Ñ26.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Ñ27.jpg
    Ñ27.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Ñ28.jpg