Could this be.....Bonita ?

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
I have this one croton growing in the yard, it shows real potential because I think it has great colors and pattern. When Bob Alonzo came for a visit awhile back, we unfortunately didn't see this plant for him to give a look at. In Frank Brown's book, it look's similar to what he has for Bonita on page 74. I wish I could get some help with this one. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• PA120540.jpg
    PA120540.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 189
  • PA120541.jpg
    PA120541.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 180
  • PA120542.jpg
    PA120542.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 173
Jeff-
Hard to tell from one pic in book if yours is Bonita. Yours has unusual white/red/white petioles on leaves; I can't see what the petioles are like in the pic in the book. Whatever it is should be very impressive in another year or two.

Come on peep's, I really need help on this one. If this turns out not to be Bonita, could Bonita be lossed forever? Does anyone know of a Bonita floating around in a collection somewhere?

Looks close some of the leaf shapes and color is close also Bonita has a darker Crimsom red. But its a Rudy Bachman plant theres a few still in dade county. I had a couple while back. Nice plant overall.

Well, according to our Master Name List it is 'Bonita' since the photos there are identical to the ones in this thread...
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/BONITA
Perhaps the Master Name List should say aff. 'Bonita' or "possibly" 'Bonita' or "looks like" etc if we are not sure of the ID...

Although I appreciate seeing my pictures up in "lights":)I didn't put them in Wiki for this very reason, because I never was and still not sure if it is Bonita. But perhaps a "Looks Like" or "Possibly" is needed sometimes.

Jeff - could you post an updated photo of this beauty? It has had a growing season to mature. How slow is it? Looks kind of Bonita to me but I have to admit that I am out of my league with the rarely seen Bonita. :eek:

Jeff - could you post an updated photo of this beauty? It has had a growing season to mature. How slow is it? Looks kind of Bonita to me but I have to admit that I am out of my league with the rarely seen Bonita. :eek:

Ron,

It's been a long time since this thread was started, and some things has been learn I feel. The picture above is my Survivor, and everyone that has seen it feels that it is not Bonita nor have they seen this plant anywhere else. I have another croton that IS Bonita, grows terribly slow for me and I almost lost the whole thing about 3 months ago. It matches up very nicely to the picture in the book. I was told that Koki has a quite large plant on the west coast. It would be nice to see a picture of his. Any chance?

Jeff