COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS - GLORIOSA SUPERBA

donroberth

19/07/09
When I was putting the GLORIOSA SUPERBA pictorial together I became aware there existed a lot of confusion with three varieties… Excellent, Gloriosa Superba and Inca, not to mention Corot. I have no problem with Inca or Corot because I’ve have never seen them “in person” therefore, no problem LOL :rolleyes:. But, I do run into the first two quite often. Please see photos 01 and 02, Gloriosa Superba in contrast with Excellent in full sun for comparison purposes. Hope they help.

Photographs 03 thru 10 are what I consider to be Gloriosa Superba in Costa Rica in both sunny locations vs shady conditions and how these settings affect the leaf’s coloring. This Croton naming game is often times totally baffling for me o_O!

Attachments

• 01 (LtoR) - GLORIOSA SUPERBA VS EXCELLENT.png
    01 (LtoR) - GLORIOSA SUPERBA VS EXCELLENT.png
    644 KB · Views: 232
  • 02 (LtoR) - CLOSE-UPS, GLORIOSA SUPERBA VS EXCELLENT.png
    02 (LtoR) - CLOSE-UPS, GLORIOSA SUPERBA VS EXCELLENT.png
    703.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 03 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FULL FLUSH CLOSE UP OF MOTHER PLANT, SEE FOTO 04.jpg
    03 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FULL FLUSH CLOSE UP OF MOTHER PLANT, SEE FOTO 04.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 04 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - STRONG BACK LIGHTED SCENE, FILL-IN FLASH EMPLOYED.jpg
    04 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - STRONG BACK LIGHTED SCENE, FILL-IN FLASH EMPLOYED.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 05 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - RECEIVES AMPLE SUN.jpg
    05 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - RECEIVES AMPLE SUN.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 06 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - SUPERMARKET PARKING LOT GARDEN, RECEIVES AMPLE SUN.jpg
    06 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - SUPERMARKET PARKING LOT GARDEN, RECEIVES AMPLE SUN.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 07 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - ROBERTICO'S CONTAINER GARDEN.jpg
    07 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - ROBERTICO'S CONTAINER GARDEN.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 08 GLORIOSA SUPERBA-THIS CULTIVAR'S FACE UNDER SHADE ALL DAY, FILL-IN FLASH UTILIZED.jpg
    08 GLORIOSA SUPERBA-THIS CULTIVAR'S FACE UNDER SHADE ALL DAY, FILL-IN FLASH UTILIZED.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 09 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FLUSH UNDER MOTHER PLANT, SOLID SHADE ALL DAY, SEE FOTO 10.jpg
    09 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FLUSH UNDER MOTHER PLANT, SOLID SHADE ALL DAY, SEE FOTO 10.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 10 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FILTERED SHADE ALL DAY.jpg
    10 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - FILTERED SHADE ALL DAY.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 180
Hmmmmm... after looking at the pictures in the Wiki, the differences are subtle at best, i.e., Gloriosa Superba seems to have side lobes that area bit less pointy than Excellent. I know this is not much to go on; the sample is too small for any valid statistical analysis. Maybe someone else can see some more obvious difference.

The Gloriosa Superba has a much larger leaf when mature . My largest one is 14 inches . Another thing i noticed was the Gloriosa S does not branch as much as the Excellent . Needs a lot of pinching to get 4 or 5 heads

Corot and inca are distinct, easily identifiable plants, not really close to what you have here. The problem with excellent and gloriosa superba, is that they are trade names, and could have been conjured up out of thin air at anytime by someone making a pricelist.

First of all… a big thank you for the kind remarks and observations that you folks have posted, re: two photos (Gloriosa Superba vs. Excellent) which I included with the Gloriosa Superba pictorial.

Kingdavid, I agree that Gloriosa Superba’s leaves are larger than Excellent and thanks for the hint about “pinching” the Gloriosa Superba… hope she doesn’t mind!

Hello Phil, Anna and Curt, Perhaps it’s my fault because the selection of the two photos I attached resulted smaller than expected after being posted, consequently, difficult to compare. I have gone back to my photo files and “dug- up” other photos that we hope are more representative and better depict the subtle differences between the two varieties :).

Attachments

• 01 ROBERTICO'S CONTAINER GARDEN - (LFT) GLORIOSA SUPERA & (RGT) EXCELLENT.JPG
    01 ROBERTICO'S CONTAINER GARDEN - (LFT) GLORIOSA SUPERA & (RGT) EXCELLENT.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 02 GLORIOSA SUPERBA -  CATEGORIZED AS SEMI-OAK LEAF, LOCATED IN FULL SUN AREA.JPG
    02 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - CATEGORIZED AS SEMI-OAK LEAF, LOCATED IN FULL SUN AREA.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 03 EXCELLENT - CATEGORIZED AS SEMI-OAK LEAF, LOCATED IN FULL SUN AREA.jpg
    03 EXCELLENT - CATEGORIZED AS SEMI-OAK LEAF, LOCATED IN FULL SUN AREA.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 04 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - LEAF COLOR WILL MATURE FROM GREEN TO ORANGE & FINALLY RED.JPG
    04 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - LEAF COLOR WILL MATURE FROM GREEN TO ORANGE & FINALLY RED.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 05 EXCELLENT - LEAF COLOR WILL MATURE FROM GREEN TO ORANGE & FINALLY RED.JPG
    05 EXCELLENT - LEAF COLOR WILL MATURE FROM GREEN TO ORANGE & FINALLY RED.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 06 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - RED MID-RIB & BURGANDY COLORED PETIOLES.JPG
    06 GLORIOSA SUPERBA - RED MID-RIB & BURGANDY COLORED PETIOLES.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 07 EXCELLENT - YELLOW MID-RIB WITH 'V' SHAPED LEAF.JPG
    07 EXCELLENT - YELLOW MID-RIB WITH 'V' SHAPED LEAF.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 150
This has been a topic of discussion as long as I have been on this page. J. Bender corrected me on Excellent and I got a G. Superbum from Jeff at one of the sales. Top Excellent. Bottom Superbum. At this time I might be right with this I.D.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi "Native Son"... thanks for contributing your RE: Subject Photos to the above conversation. It certainly adds a little more depth to the post and I agree that sunlight helps to promote more color with these cultivars. :)

Last edited: