Can you confirm?

annafl

Esteemed Member
We have all been seeing David King's posts with The Freak and Red Arrow cultivars. I think they look like really cool plants, but have never seen anyone else post these. Can anyone confirm these cultivars, and does anyone else have these? Here are some photos:

044.jpg
041.jpg
Red Arrow.jpg

Hi Anna,

Can't remember the story behind Red Arrow, but I am pretty sure The Freak was either a seedling of David's or a plant he found and named. I got a small one from him, but I know he had larger plants that were going to other members. I am hoping and waiting to get a Red Arrow in the future, but I am fairly sure it has made its way into other gardens (maybe from one of the auctions). I also got a small Cranberry from David, but think that is already in the Wiki.

Thanks,
Karl

So several people have The Freak it seems, and Randy, is your Red Arrow the same plant as David's? Do you have a photo you can share? Karl, you bring up a good point about Cranberry. Is David's plant the Cranberry plant from the past? Can I put this one in the wiki? Anyone? I bet others have this pretty plant too, no?

I thought I remember someone saying David's Cranberry matched the description from some of the old literature, but can't say for sure. Pretty sure this plant has found its way into other gardens. I am sure someone could confirm more about the history. I know David told me the story of where his Cranberry came from when I visited, but I have a hard enough time keeping track of the names for all my plants so I struggle to retain all of the other details. Glad you have added some of this to the Wiki to compliment the photos. I enjoy hearing the stories of where all of these plants originated, especially when I get to meet the ones who either created, saved, or found them.

The Freak is a seedling about 6 yrs old. I beleive it is in 5 or 6 gardens. The Red Arrow , Charlemagne and the Long Leaf Eburneum i think from Ausralia all came from the UCF sales in 2004 or 5 or 2006 not sure ... That one died in a winter freeze...The Charlemagne is the slowest for me ..It had seedlings 2 years ago of which 2 came out pretty nice..One i named Charlemagnes Daughter. Hope this helps