Croton Placement

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Currently I am undertaking some past due roof maintenance and have been to busy to post any photos. Got to work around the rains. Here are some photos from last weekend when I took a break. Visited my croton neighbor Karen (FM Karenska). She needed recommendations where to place crotons based on the sun tolerances and growth characteristics.

Karen 1.JPG

These were selected for the front yard, L to R, Irresistible, Buddy and Comte de Germiny

Karen 2.JPG

Hmmm - should have been assessed a two croton penalty for croton abuse. Punch Kind of breezy, this Sybil Griffin kept getting blown over as it is way too top heavy. It was torturing me so I set it in a bucket to temporarily keep it upright. :Cat This one is also destined for the front yard where it will get brighter light while still getting intermittent shading throughout the day.

Karen 3.JPG

Hmmmm - an old growth Black Beauty, wonder where that one came from? This one is going in a shaded area close to the car port so she can see it each time she comes and goes.

Karen 5.JPG

Hot & Steamy from the March Searle Brothers Extravaganza. Since it not very fast, it was selected to be planted by her back yard deck. The deck is raised 24" so it will add color while not blocking her panoramic view of her garden for a very long time.

Karen 6.JPG

Monarch from the Extravaganza. I recommended she select this plant for her garden. She always remarked on mine. At this stage she did not recognize it as the same cultivar with the monster sized leaves. It also will be planted on the north side of the deck. I told her that it was not a very fast one. She was concerned about it blocking her view. Having a Monrach that is too tall is a problem most collectors would like to have. When that eventually happens, a strategic air layer can resolve that issue.

Just logging on to look for posts on cultivars to do well in bright light - perfect timing! Recently obtained a Sybil Griffin (and Monarch - yay!!!) from Marie Nock. Thinking about placing Sybil Griffin in an area near front of house which will get bright light from the east, and shaded from the house later in day. Hope this is a good spot for it.

Karen 7.JPG

Karen loves the Her Highness in my yard. She checks it out each visit. Acquiring one at the Extravaganza, now she has hers. Due to its slow growth rate, at least for a few years until it gets established, it was also planted by the deck. A Yellow and Green was needed to brake up the colored varieties.

Just logging on to look for posts on cultivars to do well in bright light - perfect timing! Recently obtained a Sybil Griffin (and Monarch - yay!!!) from Marie Nock. Thinking about placing Sybil Griffin in an area near front of house which will get bright light from the east, and shaded from the house later in day. Hope this is a good spot for it.

Leslie, that spot sounds good for the Sybil Griffin; the Monarch would like light all day though.

Funny, I opened this discussion and thought, hmmm, those crotons look familiar...it looks like my driveway! Whoa -- it IS my driveway! So nice to see Ron's "blog" about his visit to KarenskaLand. Y'all come back now, hear? (Your Ellie Goepel air layering was accomplished this morning!)

Karen 10.JPG

The last one is Bermuda Red. This cultivar has a habit of growing straight up and rarely branches on its own. Pinches and or air layering are needed to induce branching. This plant is from an air layer made to induce mine to branch. Its destined to be planted on the east side up against the house where its growth habit will fill in an area and provide contrasting color. Karen has a mess of native trees in the area that need a few selective pruning of branches to increase the filtered lighting to realize its coloring potential.