Unknown Croton, ID needed, please

fawnridge

04/07/09
I thought this was Nestor at first, but looking at the older leaves, I'm not so sure.

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 150
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 161
Here is a "Stump the Chumps" I.D. question. Name the cultivar that this leaf came from? :rolleyes:

You need to enlarge the photo, that should help you. ;)

Attachments

• Stump the Chump.jpg
    Stump the Chump.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 159
No to both ID's - but very good attempts.

Ray I wish it was what your ID was. I don't even have a typical Corot. :(

Keep trying, this is a very difficult Stump the Chumps identification. :rolleyes:

Let's have fun with this ...

Ok - I cheated a little. It may be a sport since it has not shown any more typical leaves for awhile. What do you think? :eek:

Attachments

• Pink Sport.JPG
    Pink Sport.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Pink Sport 2.jpg
    Pink Sport 2.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 156
Scott - I don't believe I have heard of that cultivar before.

By the way I cropped the photos so you could not guess the mother plant so easily. If you saw it you would know it immediately. I gave Rob a hint yesterday in Jeff's shade house. When I told him that he was close to the cultivar of the mother plant, he was standing 5 feet from it. I hope this sport holds. :rolleyes:

Come on and try to guess the mother plants I.D.

Phil care to try "Stump the Chumps"? ;)

Irene - nice try, Pink Eburnum looks like these.

I will reveal the mother plant soon, so everyone have some have fun throwing out some wild guesses!

You just may hit on it :)

Attachments

• Red Eburnum2.jpg
    Red Eburnum2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Red Eburnum.jpg
    Red Eburnum.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 166
The leaves have the shape of Sybil Griffin but hard to tell anything about size...

Very nice guess Phil. The leaves do have a Sybil Griffin type shape. The leaves on this sport are smaller than typical Sybil Griffin leaves. The mother plant does have an oak leaf shape however, getting into the ballpark with the guesses now. :p

WOW - we have a winner!!! :eek:

Good job Marie! ;)
This sport does not color like the mom, just kinda keeps the leaf shape. I have been waiting to see if it would revert back to the momma color patterns but its been holding for awhile now.

Ron,
John Bender once told me that when you have a sport, you never totally remove it from the parent. So if you want to propagate it, cut in the middle of the sport. I'll offer mist house space.
Marie

Thanks Marie - I can't remember but I know it has at least two branches maybe three of this sport. It pouring rain now and I am not going to look until later. I spent most of the morning with a friend getting wet. :p I will get a picture of the overall plant tomorrow.

This is not very a small sport. ;)

Ron.

Here is the proof that the weird sport is in fact from Mrs. Snyder Disraeli. ;)

First is mother plant with sport on the left.

Second is overall plant with sport on the left.

Third is the sport.

Attachments

• Mrs Snyder Disraeli.jpg
    Mrs Snyder Disraeli.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 152
  • Mrs. Snyder Disraeli sport 2.jpg
    Mrs. Snyder Disraeli sport 2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Mrs. Snyder Disraeli sport.jpg
    Mrs. Snyder Disraeli sport.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 148
Wow, the blotched one in Ron's second photo looks like a little like an old variety known as Mrs. Collette. Someone please check the description in Dr. Brown's old book. There's a photo of it on the original Croton Society website (http://crotons.org/) inside photo gallery 1.

Ray I checked it out and you are right about the resemblance. Thanks for the link! How do you remember all these cultivars? :eek: I will never have your gifted croton eye. :(The Mrs. Collette does not appear as blotched and does not have as vibrant pinks as the sport in my photos. With luck this sport will hold its colors and patterns. :rolleyes: