Who was Earl Merritt?

I saw the post card on Ebay the other day. I googled " Earl Merritt Crotons" and found a news paper article of him . It was in the St Petersburg Times dated Oct 16 1955. It stated he had grown Crotons for 31 years. I will see if I can find the link.

I saw the post card on Ebay the other day. I googled " Earl Merritt Crotons" and found a news paper article of him . It was in the St Petersburg Times dated Oct 16 1955. It stated he had grown Crotons for 31 years. I will see if I can find the link.

Try and find the house too. Probably gone but one never knows ...

The house is still there. A Google Earth street view for 2723 8th Ave, N in St. Pete (the address on the back of the photo) shows not one single croton anywhere around. Does not look like any have been there for quite some time....

There has been many a freeze since 55.It is a shame to see once proud gardens reduced to mediocrity.

The house is still there. A Google Earth street view for 2723 8th Ave, N in St. Pete (the address on the back of the photo) shows not one single croton anywhere around. Does not look like any have been there for quite some time....

Was his family name connected to Merritt Island? :confused:

Speaking of Merritt Island - here is an very healthy group planting of Multi-Color there. Looks like a nice recovery from the 2010 winter :cool:

Attachments

• Multi Color.jpg
    Multi Color.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 122