White Gloriosa

Marie Nock

04/07/09
Perry,
Here are some photos of White Gloriosa. The first shot shows the white sport still on the plant. The second shows a red branch on the same plant. The third shows the back of the leaves on the White Gloriosa - you can see the red blush. I couldn't find the plant I removed some time ago. It will turn up somewhere.

DSC_0773.jpgDSC_0774.jpgDSC_0775.jpg

thanks Marie,does it get any more white than your example??It looks a little underwhelming ??

Perry,
Here are some photos of White Gloriosa. The first shot shows the white sport still on the plant. The second shows a red branch on the same plant. The third shows the back of the leaves on the White Gloriosa - you can see the red blush. I couldn't find the plant I removed some time ago. It will turn up somewhere.

View attachment 25011View attachment 25012View attachment 25013

Sorry Marie, I couldn't tell much from your photo, especially since 25% appears to be missing. The white gloriosa on page 47 of Dr. Browns book is what I'm looking at for a guide. However, my mystery croton doesn't look anything like that, except for an older leaf, which is barely visible. I'm beginning to think that's it's just a variation of yellow Petra, only with more elongated leaves

A few years back, a couple of us along with B. Frank paid a visit to the old Mary Hayward garden. I rooted a piece of croton from the yard that's either the plant pictured on page 18 listed as a hybrid, or the plant shown on page 47 listed as a White Gloriosa. From the pictures in the book, they appear to be extreamly close, maybe the same plant. I did show it to Johnny once and he told me the name, of which my memory has escaped me at the moment. But I have the name written on a wire tag on the plant. I will try to get that name and post it here.

A few years back, a couple of us along with B. Frank paid a visit to the old Mary Hayward garden. I rooted a piece of croton from the yard that's either the plant pictured on page 18 listed as a hybrid, or the plant shown on page 47 listed as a White Gloriosa. From the pictures in the book, they appear to be extreamly close, maybe the same plant. I did show it to Johnny once and he told me the name, of which my memory has escaped me at the moment. But I have the name written on a wire tag on the plant. I will try to get that name and post it here.

I remember that cutting. We searched through the book on the way home and it looked like a dead ringer to the photo in Frank's book. It had a lot of white, not much green for photosynthesis. Good to hear it still survives. It has to be a very slow one Jeff.