which way is up?

walrus

10/01/15
i've heard the question many times about starting logs upside down, i got 5 nice big logs online, no up or down markings, so i planted them on their side, they got mold on the ends, in a few days, first ones to do that, anyway re-cut the ends and washed them in good with a bleach solutions, and put them vertically in potting soil, guessing which way was up, 3 of them sprouted right a way, 2 of them did nothing for 3 more weeks, popped them out of the pots, and they had lot's of roots, now one has a 3 inch shoot, so i think these were upside down, out of 45 logs i've got 44 growing, waiting on the last one, not bad. now i've had no success, starting some seeds i got online, soaked them, tried paper towels, made a little greenhouse, layed them in potting soil and barely covered them, they rotted, so i'm soaking more, i haven't cleaned the skins off of the others, so these next one's i'll clean and try the baggie method, i've read everything in this forum and online about starting them, anyone have another secret i can try?

I have had no luck with seed that I have soaked. I have found that planting the seed ( cleaned from the fruit or whole fruit) germinate easy in a sandy well drained area of the garden. I have found planting the seed direct in the garden grow much faster than starting in potting media. On the "up side" of the log question can be tricky. Some logs it is easy and some not so easy. I run my index finger back and forth along the log. You will feel the leaf scar ridges more if you have the log right side up. There are at times that that test will not tell the upside and then just plant the log on the side under a bit of soil or do the moss baggie method.

Must be our hot weather of recent weeks that have set the fruit in ripening mode early this year.
IMG_9499.JPG