We Need Photos

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Come on Folks - the forum has been lacking photos lately! All the new croton bling recently acquired by so many from this forum and no photos?

Are you all busy getting them planted ? :confused:

A Crotom Forum with no photos ? :mad:

Come on Folks - the forum has been lacking photos lately! All the new croton bling recently acquired by so many from this forum and no photos?

Are you all busy getting them planted ? :confused:

A Crotom Forum with no photos ? :mad:

Moose, I bet you have acquired a few, and we all await the photos. Take the lead and post the new additions to Moose Land. :) "Show and Tell" time Ron.

Scott - that may be awhile. Lets see some other photos, I've already posted 4,068 photos on Palmpedia. But - who's counting. :rolleyes:

Some may be getting tired of seeing the same old plants over & over. :(

Scott - that may be awhile. Lets see some other photos, I've already posted 4,068 photos on Palmpedia. But - who's counting. :rolleyes:

Some may be getting tired of seeing the same old plants over & over. :(
I understand what you are saying Ron. I have also posted everything I have to show. :eek:

Here are a few that may not have been posted as of late...
IMG_3258.jpgIMG_3264.jpgIMG_3267.jpgIMG_3270.jpgIMG_3273.jpgIMG_3275.jpg

BLEAH!

Attachments

• Bleah 1.jpg
    Bleah 1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Bleah 2.JPG
    Bleah 2.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Bleah 3.JPG
    Bleah 3.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Bleah 4.JPG
    Bleah 4.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Bleah 5.JPG
    Bleah 5.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Bleah 6.JPG
    Bleah 6.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Bleah 7.JPG
    Bleah 7.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Bleah 8.JPG
    Bleah 8.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 135
I wish I had some good ones to post. Most of mine are still small and I really can't call them 'mine' until a good growing year I think. They are also just starting to develop. In another year or two they hopefully will be in good shape to show more.:) Thanks for all that do post, and you others, please do get going!

I wish I had some good ones to post. Most of mine are still small and I really can't call them 'mine' until a good growing year I think. They are also just starting to develop. In another year or two they hopefully will be in good shape to show more.:) Thanks for all that do post, and you others, please do get going!

Anna, You can always show us photos of your catches. I have also now ran out of good ones to post. If I should get any new ones I will post sitting poolside in pots for the winter. Will a little Pam Kiefert sitting poolside here be my next photo?????????? ;)

Great photos, everyone. Here is my contribution.

DSC_0430.jpg DSC_0422.jpg DSC_0432.jpg DSC_0419.jpg DSC_0397.jpg DSC_0400.jpg

1-King of Siam
2-Yellow Petra
3-Finally got a female encephalartos! She's putting out her first big mama cone. She's so pretty.
4-FDR
5-Stoplight
6-Coppinger's Hybrid- putting out a lot of growth right now
7-Doris
8-Quirko

Attachments

• DSC_0388.jpg
    DSC_0388.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0391.jpg
    DSC_0391.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 137
DSC_0418.jpg DSC_0409.jpg DSC_0406.jpgDSC_0414.jpg DSC_0415.jpg DSC_0436.jpgDSC_0434.jpg DSC_0437.jpg

9-One of my tree-strapped Cattleyas has been blooming. It's at it's end now.
10-Van Buren
11-John Bender
12-Victoria Gold Bells
13-From other side- Golden Glow in too much shade, Rocio and Victoria Gold Bells
14-William Craig
15-Eleanor Roosevelt
16- An unknown, but to me it is looking like Royal Flush- what do you think? I bought it as Gloriosa

Great fotos of your Crotons Ana...thanks for posting !:) PS: OOPS...thx also for the names!

PS: Also thx to Scott, Moose & Palm Island for your contributions...you guys are really serious about your CROTONS. Good do see that I'm in splendid company :rolleyes:.

View attachment 21892 View attachment 21891 View attachment 21890View attachment 21893 View attachment 21894 View attachment 21895View attachment 21896 View attachment 21897

9-One of my tree-strapped Cattleyas has been blooming. It's at it's end now.
10-Van Buren
11-John Bender
12-Victoria Gold Bells
13-From other side- Golden Glow in too much shade, Rocio and Victoria Gold Bells
14-William Craig
15-Eleanor Roosevelt
16- An unknown, but to me it is looking like Royal Flush- what do you think? I bought it as Gloriosa

Ana, your crotons look great; grown by a pro. I can see you are a perfectionist!

Randy, your plants are so colorful and lovely. I'm going to attempt id's and please correct me.

Pinocchio
Caribbean Star
?
Chief
Irresistible

Also, my last photo, do you think it's Royal Flush? Anyone?:confused:

Close Ana, :)these are tough ones to ID from the photos

1-Pinocchio
2-I dunno:confused:
3-General Marshall
4-Waterfall
5-Rudy Bachman

Your plant doesn't look like my Royal Flush. I don't think Royal Flush is as orange, but what do I know.:rolleyes:

Oh poooey. My guesses were really awful. Thanks for the corrections. Now I see it. I learn something each time, though, and I don't mind being corrected. I like learning each time, so thanks, Randy.

Hey, it was the Royal Flush you gave me, Randy, that made me think mine is a Royal Flush! Although it isn't in as much sun as my unknown, one of the leaves on your plant began turning the same color as the unknown! I don't see it as orange, I see it as a pink/red/coral combination. I'd call it the same color as the mamey fruit (if you're familiar with that). Below are my unknown plant (UL), a small air layer I took from it (UR), and lastly, your Royal Flush with the leaf that's coloring up (LL). To me, they're very similar. The only General MacArthur I have is more of a true pink. See what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_0444.jpg
    DSC_0444.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0446.jpg
    DSC_0446.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_0442.jpg
    DSC_0442.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 106
Oh poooey. My guesses were really awful. Thanks for the corrections. Now I see it. I learn something each time, though, and I don't mind being corrected. I like learning each time, so thanks, Randy.

Hey, it was the Royal Flush you gave me, Randy, that made me think mine is a Royal Flush! Although it isn't in as much sun as my unknown, one of the leaves on your plant began turning the same color as the unknown! I don't see it as orange, I see it as a pink/red/coral combination. I'd call it the same color as the mamey fruit (if you're familiar with that). Below are my unknown plant (UL), a small air layer I took from it (UR), and lastly, your Royal Flush with the leaf that's coloring up (LL). To me, they're very similar. The only General MacArthur I have is more of a true pink. See what you think.

Ana, Your's sure does look a lot more reddish in these photos. What's the origin of it? I wouldn't use my plant as a standard to ID yours. Mine's an air layer from a plant that got heavily shaded over when my canopy grew in. Maybe another season ? I don't think I've ever seen a mature Royal Flush, so I can't be of much help.;)
Anyone have any ideas for Ana:confused:

Thanks, Randy. I bought this plant last February as a Gloriosa. It was close to blacked out, but has responded nicely to quite a bit of sun and has colored up and grown a lot. Quite spindly, but I think another air layer will fix that. It needs 'thickening', so I'll plant that stick at the base as well to improve the look of the plant. It is a grateful plant and I really like it, so I was hoping to get opinions. Don't know why no one else will comment. Thanks for your thoughts on it.:D

Bleah - part 2

Attachments

• Bleah 9.JPG
    Bleah 9.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Bleah 10.JPG
    Bleah 10.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Bleah 11.JPG
    Bleah 11.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Bleah 12.JPG
    Bleah 12.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Bleah 13.JPG
    Bleah 13.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Bleah 14.JPG
    Bleah 14.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Bleah 15.JPG
    Bleah 15.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Bleah 16.JPG
    Bleah 16.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 133
Jeff,

It's Royal Flush not Gloriosa Flush that we're talking about here.:) Royal Flush has darker colors than Claude Lorraine (bad example on my part) but I wouldn't call it red either. Let's say rose colored (darker pink) but no way is it blood red. It's also more blotchy (not veined) so the plant above is definitely not RF.

Jeff and Ray,I wouldn't call the color red. It is a mix of pink/orange/red. The closest color is mamey if you know the fruit. Almost watermelon. Thanks for discussing my plant. Jeff, do you have an idea of what it might be?:rolleyes:

Thanks, Ron. Some of these may need to go in the wiki. Why 'funky' Shady Lane- it sure is pretty and colorful. And, I never heard of that Tan Wi Kiat- sounds like a car. Is that a legit name? One I should start in the wiki?

Thanks, Ron. Some of these may need to go in the wiki. Why 'funky' Shady Lane- it sure is pretty and colorful. And, I never heard of that Tan Wi Kiat- sounds like a car. Is that a legit name? One I should start in the wiki?

Ana - I got Tan Wi Kiat as a small croton from Richard Buttons. He is the same person who introduced Delores, named after his wife. Not sure if this was one of his seedlings or one he acquired and put a name to it.

It is named after Mr. Tan Wi Kiat, the director of Gardens by the Bay in Singapore. I attended a special presentation given by Mr. Kiat at Fairchild Gardens. The man is a dynamic and very witty speaker. It is a very young garden, opened in June 2012 I believe. Its still being added to. The plant acquisition budget was an amazing US$ 750 Million. The property donated by the Singapore Government is reportedly valued at over US$ 2 Billion. The Glocks & Schillings visited the garden last year about this time. They can tell you more about it than I can.

The croton is still smallish and has not reached its full potential IMO. I've got some stuff he wants so I am working out a trade to try and secure a couple more. This is all I know about this croton.

The Shady Lane is just a Shady Lane. The coloring reminded me of Judy's Shady Lane in the Keys that had amazing coloring. That is why I put "funky" before the name. Aluding to the title of the thread - "Funky Shady Lane". ;)

Jeff,

It's Royal Flush not Gloriosa Flush that we're talking about here.:) Royal Flush has darker colors than Claude Lorraine (bad example on my part) but I wouldn't call it red either. Let's say rose colored (darker pink) but no way is it blood red. It's also more blotchy (not veined) so the plant above is definitely not RF.

Now Ray....if you lived in a warmer climate where you could actually grow some of these plants, you would know. Lol. I know exactly what I have in my yard and where it is. It does NOT have any pastel colors. The predominant color is red in each leaf. From a very light pinkish-red to a very dark red and everything in between. I also never said the croton above is a Royal Flush. I rarely try to put an ID on a plant from a picture. And I would agree, there is no veining. Come on, you saw it a few weeks ago when you were here, offered something like $400 for the plant , but turned you down. Then you proceeded to break off the largest limb and coat me with croton juice all over my shirt. OK,ok, so I'm exaggerating. but no pastels. LOL!