Unknown Croton....any clues?

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
This is a plant that has been growing on the side of my house for several years. Recently when Bob Alonzo stopped by, I asked him on his thoughts and he was not sure of a name. It's planted in shade for the entire day, so next spring I will do a couple of cuttings and then plant those in a different spot with more light, to see if I can get more changes in colors. Any thoughts on a name?

Jeff

Attachments

• PA120575.jpg
    PA120575.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 164
  • PA120576.jpg
    PA120576.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 142
Several years ago, the Croton Scoiety had a load of 1 gal plants that we out of color and were appropriately called 'Ugly' for lack of a better name. With a bit of light, they color up nicely. I'll post some pics later. ....but no good name to get directly to the point.

...and now some pics of 'Ugly'
First two are of same plant
Third one is showing new leaves on plant that it is now getting lots of direct sun after removal of a Sabal causiarum due to Texas palm decline about 5 weeks ago. Older leaves are dull.
Fourth one is grown primarily in shade

Attachments

• DSCN2210.jpg
    DSCN2210.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN2212.jpg
    DSCN2212.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN2211.jpg
    DSCN2211.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN2213.jpg
    DSCN2213.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 115
Ron,

Good question. I made 2 air layers this past summer, one went to Judy, so we could ask her this weekend on how it's doing. The other....I'm struggling on thinking what happened to it. I must of planted it, but can't remember where,da! I need to look into it.

Jeff, is this the croton that you named Class Act? If so, it is planted in my front yard and you will see it this weekend

Judy

Ron,

Judy told me yesterday that Bob Alonzo and Mark both looked at this croton and said they had no clue on it's origin. Her plant looked really good, better than mine here at the house.

Maybe we need to see a photo of Judy's. Judy how does it look since the meeting? Is it holding up well with your cold events? :confused:

Confuse Jim, put a camera instead of a Coors Light in his hand. Tell him to go snap a picture for us. LOL :p

Jeff, is this the croton that you named Class Act? If so, it is planted in my front yard and you will see it this weekend

Judy

Ana - since Jeff has remained photo posting challenged, I think this may be the mother plant of Class Act. Does not appear we have been doing anything wrong with our plants, it may just not be a vigorous grower. A good candidate for an intimate area that needs some color but not one that would quickly out grow it. :)

Judy, got a photo of your'ins. :p

Do not have a photo, but it has been an extremely slow grower both in Ft. Myers and the Keys!