Two rare palm species

palmnerd

I was wondering if anyone has come across seed or seedlings of the following two palms.
The first being Podococcus acaulis. I know this thing is unique as it is exclusive to it's own tribe. I also know it comes from a very limited range in Gabon. Palmpedia can be accessed worldwide, which is why I am curious to know if these things are being cultivated. There is another species barteri, but I haven't seen too much about that one either. There was an article in Palms a few years back, But I don't recall if there was mention of it being cultivated in or out of it's natural range.
The other palm was Sabal gretherae. This Sabal comes from the state of Quintana roo, Mexico and I believe it was named back in the early nineties. I can't find photo's of it or any record of it being used by locals or if seed or seedlings can be had. If anyone has experience with this one I would like to know about it's culture or form. Or even a photo!

Whoa Justin,

Where did you pull those from? Are you playing a game of "Stump the Palmaholics?"

Well you stumped me. I haven't even heard of either of them. I hadn't even heard of the genus on that first one. On the Sabal, maybe Tad knows something. He's managed to get to some pretty unique locations down Mexico way.

I found the first one, Podococcus in Palms vol. 51 (2) June 2007. It seems like a nice dainty understory palm. And It seems that Africa for all it's size has less palm diversity than a lot of areas in the world. So I was just curious to know if this palm has made it out of the jungle yet.
The Sabal I stumbled on, looking through the Trebrown nurseries "complete list of palm species" I was looking for something else in Syagrus when I looked through Sabal. I had never heard of gretherae before. The Kew monocot list backs it up as well. So I'm guessing there's no synonomy going on here. Anyway I'd like to see if perhaps there might be someone out there that's not stumped like you and me.

Dean, I found a seed dealer from Cameroon that has these. Let me know if interested.

Actually LJG, I'm the one interested these plants. And for the sake of others that may want to try this; perhaps you could post an address for us. I assume you're talking about the Podococcus. Thank you in advance for helping me\us find access to this rare palm.
If there is anyway to return the favor let me know.

Justin,

You have to excuse Len (LJG). He's a trouble maker.

He's referring to the same dealers in Cameroon that have 25 million dollars from a family inheritance and need your help in transferring it to a bank in the USA. That would be to your bank account, if you just give them the necessary vital info and access to transfers. For your trouble, they will give you a tidy 1 million, and throw in a few Podococcus seeds as well.

They would probably be willing to send along some Hyophorbe amaricaulis seeds too. :)

Yeah sorry. On the PalmTalk forums this joke was going around for a while. I forget not everyone was there. I just rememeber Dean bought a bunch of seed from him. :)

The Podo's are still such a rare palm to find. I personally not only own one, nor do I know anyone that own's one, OR, seen or heard of one growing in any botanical garden. The one garden outside of Africa that might have this palm, or at the best shot of having one would be Nong Nooch Gardens in Thailand. Just not sure. I know one person that sent some money for seeds, well, you probably can guess what happened in the end.

The sabal species, this is new to me as well.

Dash it all, You can call me names and use words that smart but it's not kind to tease palmnerds with fantastical seed vendors. I suppose that from now on anything that LJG posts should be taken as seriously as the Cameroon chamber of commerce.

Justin,

Don't be too upset,..I'm still waiting for my Nigerian Walking Palm.

To Bepah, I wouldn't say so much upset as well duped. I would never fall for one of those wire us the money deals but as Cameroon and Gabon are almost neighbors it raised an eyebrow on my part. That is all water under the palm canopy by now though.
And to Jeff Searle, Thanks for actually posting a serious comment on these two species. Of all the people in my part of the world I know you would have insight as to the availability of the Podococcus. If they ever do come available please let us know and I will come down for one of your open house sales and grab one.
You might be the right person whom to submit a photo of a two year old seedling that was started from seed from your nursery. I got the senior Mr. Searles permission to pick up some seed from one of the palms in your collection outside the greenhouses. I think it may have been near the office. If I get a chance and you feel like humoring me I would like to know what it is. I'll snap a pic and post it.

I'm re-posting MatttyB's question from above. I think it may have gotten lost in all the humor.

"I'm curious; does Hodel mention S. gretherae in his latest article from the PSSC Journal? I don't remember reading that name."

Hi Jeff, I am afraid I can't be of any help with regard to the mother tree's ID, It was about two years ago that I got the seed. I just remember it being near the office area west of the big greenhouses right behind where you guys cook lunch for visitors. I hope the photos might lend a clue. And if anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free.
If not, no big deal at all. I know it is a very young plant and there are a lot of palms that look like this at this age. I thank you in advance for your time. If it is still a mystery after you see these pics, then I will have to just come down during your next open house! Thanks

Attachments

• 100_1021.jpg
    100_1021.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_1030.jpg
    100_1030.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_1032.jpg
    100_1032.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 217
It's a Ptychosperma species. The next time you come by, maybe you can remember exactly where you got the seed from and then I can tell you exactly what you have.

Jeff