The Chaconia: Warszewiczia coccinea

kaowinston

23/04/08
Hello

Just returned from a wonderful visit to Trinidad, and I thought I will post some photos of the national flower. Winston

IMG_4314V.jpg
IMG_4317V.jpg
IMG_4318v.jpg

That's beau-tee-ful. I doubt I could grow it- ya never know. I would think it could do well in coastal SouCal. Not many tropical shrubs won't grow there.

That's beau-tee-ful. I doubt I could grow it- ya never know. I would think it could do well in coastal SouCal. Not many tropical shrubs won't grow there.

Don't worry, I do understand. I live in the UK, and there is very little chance of me growing a plant like this one.

I have never seen one of these in SoCal. I think the more tropical the better.

I have a few here in Hawaii - but none look as good as the one posted.

Those are some of the few photos I have seen that actually shows just how vibrant the color of the flower really is. Thanks for posting.

I would feel more confident with ultra tropical vines and shrubs in soucal then palms. I know its on the net of a Jade Vine that was grown in Culver City. Darn! I almost moved there. Should have.
Sherman Gardens seems to have a great climate for things like Calathea that wouldn't take much cold elsewhere.
The whole problem with palms is..if the growing point dies,its fatal almost always. Tropical shrubs in soucal seem to get over a light dieback in winter. Shed a few leaves like Croton's do,then come back if they are the right variety.

We grow it - or try to grow it - in Miami. It always needs protection in the winter but our efforts are rewarded with a few blooms each year.