Some major wilting starting to occur :(

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
Very hot and no rain for a long time down here in Davie,Sprinklers cant keep up :(.They say its the lowest winter rainfall in this area for the past 80 years.Too late to post pics now but it is not a pretty sight.

I noticed today also some wilting on a couple of crotons. These were a couple of small Magnificents in 3 gallons in the shadehouse, and the soil was wet. It's heat stress. A few in the ground are doing it now too. We NEED some rain bad don't we?

I noticed today also some wilting on a couple of crotons. These were a couple of small Magnificents in 3 gallons in the shadehouse, and the soil was wet. It's heat stress. A few in the ground are doing it now too. We NEED some rain bad don't we?

Yes,you are right,more likely heat stress.It has been bone dry,sprinklers cant run long enough to add enough moisture to the ground.2 Inches of rain would do wonders,especially now that the plants are all flushing new growth.

The established plants in the ground are doing fine with irrigation, but the newer ones are wilting in the hot sun and recovering when they're back in the shade.

I actually have been submerging my containers for an hour so they are saturated. Repeat every three days. Plants in the ground are doing well. I amend the soils with composted cow manure and peat moss. Then heavily mulch. I hand water twice a week or sooner if new leaves are drooping. Water in the evenings so plants can absorb water through the course of the night. :)