Slices Of Life In The Heart Of Amazonia

Don,

One of the things I find so interesting about this area is the seasonality of this High/Low water phenomena. It appears to be such a big part of the flow of life (no pun intended) down there. I don't think there is anyplace in the world with such variation - maybe some of the plains of Africa, or India during the monsoons. But the area, and degree of variation in the Amazon basin, seems unique.

I would like to see more of pics showing the differences in high/low water and it's affect on the flora. And I can't ever get enough of the Mauritias - so keep them coming. :)

Dean,

I do not believe there is any place with this kind of seasonal flow of water. Maybe the Congo basin has something like it. But, it would not be on this scale. As from 15 to 20 percent of all the fresh water in the world flows through the Amazon River when it meets the Atlantic there is nothing even remotely similar. Did you know that once a year a wave travels up the Amazon from the Atlantic called the pororoca with waves up to 4 meters high. People surf up the river. I am organizing information and photos which I have a lot of. Unfortunately over the years I have lost some good ones. But, I guess that is life. Since I started taking pictures at high water this year with my new camera at Paricatuba, I will continue as the water drops. The low water point is right around the end of October. Then the river slowly starts it´s rise to high water next June or July. It is from 12 to 14 meters normally between the two extremes. Through the mouth of the Negro River where it meets the Solimões River and forms the Amazon is more fresh water than flows through all of the rivers of Europe combined. The Negro is the largest tributary of the Amazon and the largest black water river in the world. At the mouth of the river the channel is around 100 meters deep.

dk

Yes Don,

As a surfer, I knew about that wave and have seen some footage. It's a little different, to say the least, to see guys surfing around trees and under branches, and to just keep on going.

Those statistics about the scale of the Amazon are amazing if you truly pay attention to what they represent.

Awesome pictures! The Amazon basin is truly one of the wonders of the world. I love this webpage idea, Dean!

And, Don, keep the wonderful pictures and comments coming. You have the start of a book.

Don,

Your page is coming along nicely. The bird call is a nice touch.
I just heard today that Moody's (a US financial rating service) upgraded Brazilian equities to Investment Grade, and the Brazilian stock market had a great day. Looks like the future is a bright one.