seeds!

annafl

Esteemed Member
I've been going through past pages of the forum trying to learn so I don't become a complete nuisance to all of you. I ran across a post from Jeff where he showed a mesh bag over an inflorescence with seeds. Yesterday I was going past my Raphael when I noticed a couple of inflorescences that had formed seeds! I had never noticed this on any crotons in the past. I touched them and a few fell in my hands. I laid them on the counter and this morning there were oval dark brown seeds with crescent shaped hulls scattered around the kitchen counter and floor! Without my glasses I assumed my DH had tracked dirt or pollen in the house, but when I went to pick them up I realized what they were. I'm so excited to have seeds to experiment with. Especially of Raphael, one of my favorites. Of course, I have questions.

Do crotons self-pollinate or is there usually a different pollen parent? There is a cluster of Mrs. Iceton next to Raphael so, being partial to pinks and having a lot of shade, I am dreaming of beautiful pink seedlings that do very well in shade. Also, I planted the seeds in pro-mix, about the depth of a seed. Is that the right thing to do? Thanks!

Ana

Crotons rarely, if ever, reproduce true from seed even if croton A pollinated another croton A. Good thing you planted them promptly since croton seed does not remain viable very long. I've been told about a month. Let us know how they progress.

Ana, Click on the FAQ in the tool bar. Find the General Form Usage and then find the topic Reading and Posting Messages. This should help you out in posting pictures. Lots of other info in the FAQ also. We love pictures here.