Old Croton Find

bahadawn

21/02/12
Here are 4 old crotons, all over 7 feet tall. May I have help with their names? The pictures posted out of order. There are two photos of each plant. Fawnridge just posted on Rags thread that one of his plants looked like a Stoplight that lost it's color over time. Perhaps this is what happened to this purple plant, too? The plants look pretty rough; there's not much care being paid to this yard. They also look like they have good potential to very pretty plants. I'm contemplating asking the owner for cuttings...

Attachments

• old croton #4 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #4 - 6-5-12.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 72
  • old croton #1- 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #1- 6-5-12.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 103
  • old croton #2 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #2 - 6-5-12.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 83
  • old croton #3 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #3 - 6-5-12.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 81
  • old croton #8 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #8 - 6-5-12.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 81
  • old croton #5 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #5 - 6-5-12.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 68
  • old croton #6 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #6 - 6-5-12.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 74
  • old croton #7 - 6-5-12.JPG
    old croton #7 - 6-5-12.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 86
Ron, Mike & Ray - thank you for the I.D.'s.

One more thing, if I may, Ray. When a croton goes out of color, is that "all she wrote" for the plant? Or, is there a chance it will color up again? I looked up Baron Le Compte on the Wiki, and it indicates that if the plant has lost color, it should not be propagated. If I took a cutting from this plant (which, as you can see is mostly dark purple with a tiny bit of orange showing up) are the chances slim that it will grow with any color other than purple? I actually like dark purple colored plants - so I wouldn't be terribly disappointed, but just curious about the wiki info.

One more thing, if I may, Ray. When a croton goes out of color, is that "all she wrote" for the plant? Or, is there a chance it will color up again? I looked up Baron Le Compte on the Wiki, and it indicates that if the plant has lost color, it should not be propagated. If I took a cutting from this plant (which, as you can see is mostly dark purple with a tiny bit of orange showing up) are the chances slim that it will grow with any color other than purple? I actually like dark purple colored plants - so I wouldn't be terribly disappointed, but just curious about the wiki info.

Cuttings will usually look exactly like the mother plant. However, there is a better chance that you can force new growth to come back with color or even sport if you hack the plant way back.

Leslie - it is my opinion that if you propogated the Baron Le Compte, you have a good chance it could color up on the new growth. Fertilizer and a good soil mix with an acid Ph really helps with coloring. Some benefits this plant has not had in many a moon - it is worth a try.

Most collectors do look for outstanding colors when selecting plants for their gardens. Simply certain plants look better than others of the same cultivar. Its all about the COLOR! :eek:

These 3 were blacked out when found 3yrs ago. They look as they may come around. Lots of TLC given here.

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpg
    IMG_8125.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8132.jpg
    IMG_8132.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8129.jpg
    IMG_8129.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 73
These 2 are on death row, they need to shape up this year or they are out of here. Planted in ground early this year in lots of sun.

Attachments

• IMG_8136.jpg
    IMG_8136.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 74