New Poll! !Does the original Richard Krukonis still exist??

Does the Richard Krukonis pictures in the book still exist??

• Absolutely exists,I have seen many good examples

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Possibly exists ,I have seen recent pictures that closely resemble the one in the book

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unlikely to exist ,I have seen some plants that come close

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 6 ft under,pushing up daisies,will not be seen again!!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes it exists. It is a very, very slow cultivar. It takes many moons to gain size and mature before it exhibits the very long outter oak leaf lobes. The one in Frank Brown's book must have been a very old plant.

Why don't we see more? Well its real real slow for one. I suspect that if it was not for the photo in Frank Brown's book and its rarity, there would not be much of a demand for this croton. If you owned a nursery back in the day and it took you 5 years to grow a croton, you would have tossed it to grow something you could sell. There may not have ever been alot of this cultivar around. Just in a few collectors gardens.

Fantastic ,If it looks like the one in the book you will have many bidders.My garden definitely needs one!!

I have two , andy got airlayer this year and I just cut new airlayer today ,im thinking it will be going to next auction.

This has been one topic that's been beaten to the ground. After receiving my first cutting from B. Frank many years ago, he assured me it was the real plant. At the time, his one little plant only had 4-5 heads on it and was in pretty bad shape. But I have to admit, it's never turned into what the picture looks like. It has the typical leaf shape, but that's about it. Judy's plant came from me and looks much nicer but doesn't seem to get the reds like in the picture from the book.

The wiki photos especially Judy's down in the keys come close,in fact until Judy's was pictured I had no hope of getting this one.Let us see how it develops over time.

Mike, What do you think about the wiki pics under R. krukonis, wondering your thoughts.