Medemia argun

Scott-
We have two of them planted at Kopsick in full sun and exposed to northerly winds in an area with good drainage. They were purchased from Botanics Wholesale and have been trouble free for the past few years. They get their quarterly shot of 8-2-12+4Mg controlled release palm fert and no other special care. I have not noted any cold damage this year either.

Hi Scott, If I remember correctly the CFPACS site has some info on this species with regard to culture in Central Florida. Phil's input seems enough though. I plan on getting seeds of this in this year, so I should be long in the tooth when I can appreciate these in their glory.
There's a nice article on this one in last March's Palms (Vol. 53 #1) for anyone who wants some background on this under appreciated and rare palm.

Thanks for the info! I ordered seeds today to give this palm a try. But if I could find a plant the better.:)

I have a little seedling that I started from seed about four years ago. It's been in the ground the last two winters and is doing ok. It's still small but seems to handle the winter fine. Actually, of the ten seeds I got, eight came up in the pot but the dog got all but two and I got careless with one of the remaining two.

Scott, I looked through all of my various sources for our area and came up with nothing. I looked in Plant Finder to no avail. I even looked at Botanics as Phil had mentioned and they currently are not listing it. I tried Redlands as well. If I come across any three gallons I will give you a shout.

Here's a pic of the one at Kopsick - taken yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN2428.jpg
    DSCN2428.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 339
Here's a pic of the one at Kopsick - taken yesterday.

Thanks for the picture Phil. I need to get back over to Kopsick. It has been 6yrs or longer since my last visit. I received seed of M.argun yesterday and will give it a try.

Scott, I'm also sprouting seeds of this. Let me know when yours sprout, so we can compare sprouting times

Scott, I'm also sprouting seeds of this. Let me know when yours sprout, so we can compare sprouting times

I placed the seeds (5) in pots today after a 3 day soak changing water daily. Pots are now bagged and placed in a sunny window. What method are you using?

I placed the seeds (5) in pots today after a 3 day soak changing water daily. Pots are now bagged and placed in a sunny window. What method are you using?

I'm using the baggie method with sphagnum moss on 18, and the other 18 I've put in some soil in the garage (the method i used to sprout Borassus seeds).

I've got a few sprouted so far. I've seen maybe 10 get rot while trying to sprout, and I think I have 5 or 6 sprouted so far, still waiting on the rest. They're potted up in 1 gallon tree pots, so let's hope I can get some to throw some leaves!

Keith, I repotted 1 that was putting a root thru the bottom hole in cup. Still no above soil growth, but was put in full sun location to enjoy the FL sun.

Here is the newborn M. argun in its first photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 268
I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this one. They got to 1 leaf, and then abruptly died. I've got 3 left, so hopefully I can get 1 to live. I'm not the best with deep rooted remote germinators like Medemia or Borassus (down to 1 borassus out of 10 seeds, it's throwing out it's first leaf, but I just am not sure about it). Maybe one day I'll find one at a palm sale that I can just stick in the ground and be happy with it.

Zeeth, I am keeping my 2 seedlings on the dry side and they seem happy so far. I broke the root on one when I was planting in a deeper pot 2 wks ago. So far I see no bad affects from the broken root.

I've got one with 3 leaves, one with 1 leaf pushing out another one. It hasn't grown at all in a while. I think this palm is best germinated and placed right in the ground.